Airport Express extend LinkSys ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by VanMac, Aug 16, 2005.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hi.

Question for a friend. He has a wireless network at home using a linksys router (wrt54g or something like that)

He bought a mini a couple of months ago.....one that does not have wifi built in. Mini is not physically located near this router, and he does not wish to run cable.

What is the easiest way to get this mini on the network? Can an airport express extend the linksys wireless, and then plug mini into ethernet on airport express??

Any input appreciated.

EDIT: Never mind....he is taking it into apple store for wifi/blue tooth upgrade...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just for the record then, you need a firmware hack to actually extend the range of a Linksys router but you can easily add an Express to it without extending the range. :)

3. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

OK, thanks, good to know.

I'm looking at getting an Airport Express in the near future to plug in a USB printer. I have a linksys router as well.

My friend was hoping he could use the Airport Express, and then plug his mini into the ethernet port. Store told him that it is input only. Anyway, works better for him to just upgrade mini to wireless, then he gets bluetooth as well.

4. donkoller macrumors newbie

I've had Express w/Linksys working for months

I have a Linksys WRT54G in the office and an Airport Express in our entertainment room. The AE handles airtunes play into the home theater system and notebook w/wifi card. Also, my visitors with wireless notebooks. Never have any problems.
    Set up was a little complicated, but never had to change anything since it started working. :)