Airport Express, Extreme or other?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdebeer, Apr 8, 2006.

1. jdebeer macrumors newbie

I now use a borrowed Linksys router for my main wireless network, plus an airport express for airtunes. Now that I have to give the linksys back, what should I replace it with -- another an express, an extreme, or another router (e.g. D-Link, Linksys, or whatever).

I'm tempted to avoid the airport extreme (it seems unjustifiably expensive). Thinking seriously about a DLink. I love the airport for its portability (I could use a second one so my home wireless can survive while I travel, taking the one hooked up to the stereo with me).

I'm especially curious about speed differentials. I'm supposed to be getting 5mbps through my DSL, although I've never seen it! Is it my router? Would speed matter if I'm using the Express as an extender anyway?

Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I would get an Express because you don't need an Extreme (they're expensive) and getting another AirPort means you can combine the two routers using WDS and get an extended range. Although this feature is feasible on a Linksys, it involves a hack and is not guarantied. Any other brand will work with your current Express but will not extend the range.

Of course, if you don't need a bigger range or you want extra wired ethernet ports, then use a different brand. Any 802.11B/G capable router should be fine because it's an industry standard. Having said that, most people around here recommend Linksys. :)

3. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Current linksys routers such as the WRT54GS have WDS enabled as part of the default linksys firmware. No hacks required any more.

As for the original poster. If you have small area to cover with the wireless signal and you do not care about the lack of additional ethernet ports then the airport express can be a good option. However something like the Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS will be much cheaper (less than half the cost of an airport express) and provide the ability to connect wired computers to share your network connection together with providing more options for securing your network.

Whether you get your full 5Mbps DSL speed is dependent on several factors - the quality of your house wiring, the quality of the wire from your house to the CO, the distance to the CO and how much crosstalk you get on your line. If you are signed up for a 5Mbps plan and don't get anything near that speed you may want to contact your DSL provider and have them bump you down to a cheaper plan.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

WDS isn't a set standard, but are you saying the Linksys routers now work with AirPorts out of the box (extending the range)? :)

5. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew