Airport Express/Extreme updates anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by manosaurus, Nov 14, 2006.

1. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

I think that I am going to get a new router. Right now I have a netgear but I am looking into one of Apple's routers. Should I get one now or are updates right around the corner. I know that the new MBP's have wireless N capabilites and that Apple's current routers are wiresless G so it seems that thier routers will follow suit. Any ideas?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I haven't seen any specific rumors, but the new Macs are coming with Draft N AirPort cards, so something could be coming. The N specs aren't due to be finalized soon (I think April 2008 is the target now), but that didn't stop Apple from releasing AirPort Extreme six months before the G standard was ratified.

Basically, I don't expect anything soon, but I wouldn't surprised if something comes before April of '08. Tough to say though, as there's been very little out there on such rumors.

3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'm going to disagree - not that I have any specific information! But with the iTV coming out this spring, and all new Macs having pre-N cards in them, I expect the Airport line to get an upgrade within the next 4-6 months.

I imagine Apple has some sort of guarantee from their pre-N vendors that their chipsets will be upgradable to the standard, once that is finalized.

4. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

I agree, I would wait. Apple must have something up their sleeve in the near future (MWSF), for the Express & Extreme.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The iTV certainly is a compelling reason to think that something's coming, but I still have concerns about the slow pace toward ratification...much slower than initial predictions.

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out...I guess I'll back off my initial thoughts and put more weight behind the iTV argument.

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I think history has shown that Apple is a very hard company to predict! :D So who knows...

7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I think the earliest anything is going to happen is next spring when the iTV comes out. If you can wait, why not? If you need it (or want it) go for it.