Airport Express for $119

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Grimace, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Frequently ecost.com has great "countdown" deals. Right now there are 30 Airport Express units available for $119. I think free shipping too. Just passing it along. :)

2. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

3. Natalia81 macrumors regular

I believe Amazon has it for about the same price, with free shipping and no tax. It says it usually ships in 1 - 2 days.

4. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

It does. It is on sale right now for $118.74, with free shipping, and most states have no sales tax.

5. wide macrumors 6502a

Is there an alternative to AirPort Express in that you plug it into a wall and you receive a 802.11b/g connection? I would like AirPort Express, but I have no use for "AirTunes" and do not want to pay the premium everyone must pay for an Apple product.

Also, does anyone know about PowerLine technology? I read an article in the WSJ about it saying that you plug an AC adapter into a wall electricity socket, and it give you an ethernet connection (and some versions will transmit a wireless connection). Does this work very well and is there a monthly fee/does it only work in certain areas?

6. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Yes, Linksys makes a similar product as do a number of others. Check www.macwireless.com for options.

I use a very similar product for my PS2. I connect to the PS2 via ethernet and then wirelessly to my LAN. Real simple and a lot cheaper. But as you pointed out, no Airtunes ability.

7. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

I have to say, for any of those fencing it on the Airport Express, I just got one to supplement my Extreme network and it's amazing! Airtunes is GRRREAT, I highly HIGHLY recomend it, even to those who feel they can "make due with hooking my ipod directly to the stereo." It works beautifully, is very cool, and even my anti mac friends are conceding that Airtunes is a pretty dang awesome gadget/function. Talk about technology of the future!

8. narco macrumors 65816

narco

If you order it, how long does it take to ship? I ended up cancelling my order with Apple because it took a million years to ship it out. I thought that since I live in L.A. (about 8 Apple stores around me), then I could find one there. SO WRONG.

Plus I just spent a billion dollars on a pair of speakers for my G5, I'm happy with the sound of these until I can find a better reason to buy Airport Express.

.narco

9. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

I got mine fro mthe Apple Store Cambridge over here, they had a bunch.