Airport Express help please...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nickelbackmac, Aug 9, 2006.

1. nickelbackmac macrumors regular

nickelbackmac

OK, I am planning on getting my house Mac-styled. I am working on buying Cinema Displays, iMacs, iPod Hi-Fis (I will have them in the bedrooms, so each kid would be able to listen to their iPods on speakers), surround sound in the Living Room, Master Bedroom, and the Kid Rooms (I don't know why I capitalized all that).

I want to be able to use Airport Express + Airtunes w/ my iTunes server, the MBP. I don't understand how it all works. What all do you connect to it... How DO you connect it all... How does it connect to the MBP... It's just all confusing, so I'm hoping someone who already has an AirPort Express would help. Thanks!

-nickelbackmac

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Please relax. You can't expect every question to be answered. Questions are answered if and when someone who knows - or thinks they know - the answer happens to see your post. You asked less than an hour ago.

Anyway, see here for an explanation. Basically, it's just plug and play, literally.

3. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

because were all jealous and you have too much money.

you need to share :)

It is actually incredibly easy to set up man, I did it at home, the easiest way is to connect a speaker system to the airport express ( it has a 1/8" audio jack ) there are some onscreen instructions to follow to pair it with your computer, but it will detect the airport once you have airtunes enabled.

you simply select whatever you named your airport out of the list, it will be right under "computer speakers"

i probably missed something, but its really easy.

check out the apple page on it. should help some. http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/airtunes.html

4. nickelbackmac thread starter macrumors regular

nickelbackmac

OK, I already found a diagram that worked, but thanks for the info! BTW, I get ungodly discounts from my son who owns a store, with Macs and home theatre equipment, and he will install it all for free. I saved way over 50% on it all, so I really am not rich, as I wouldn't be wise to purchase it all elsewhere :rolleyes: ...

Also, not all at once, but a few at a time... I do not have the money to buy all of that together.

5. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

youre going to have surround sound AND iPod Hi-Fis in every room? that seems a little redundent, chose one or the other.

for starters what type of home network do you already have? or are you planning to install?

The best/coolest set up (seeing that you want all mac and you have all the money!) is to start with the AirPort Extreme as the main base station. have this wherever your main internet connection is. then have the AirPort Express everywhere you want to stream music to the speakers. So one for the living room, one for the master bedroom etc. You can even connect an AirPort Express to the iPod Hi-Fi because it has an auxiliary input. Using the AirPort wizard built into mac makes it pretty easy to set up the whole network. You can even use the airport express as a range extender to make sure your house is fully covered by wireless (im guessing this is a spacious house!)

sounds like a pretty cool set up if you have mac everywhere in your house! you might consider a mac mini with a large external HD as a 'media server' instead of using your MBP. this way you can set it in a corner and everyone in the family could have access to home movies, pictures and music! Then you can just remote desktop connect to the mini and control it from anywhere!

6. nickelbackmac thread starter macrumors regular

nickelbackmac

Just decided to have Surround Sound in the L.R., and rest ave Hi-Fis. I like the last paragraph. I will consider it done. Today, I am going to A/V Connections (my son's store) and purchase a Mini thru his catalog (it is specifically configured for home entertainment, priced at 700 USD) and use a refurb 30" ACD. Thanks for all the info!