Airport Express Help

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ribbonthecat, Feb 12, 2007.

1. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

I just got and unpacked an Airport Express. I intend to use it only for streaming music, not for internet, mostly because I share a wireless internet connection with other people in my building, and they have the actual wired connection.

So, it seems that if I want to stream music to my stereo, I must disconnect from the shared network, and connect to the AEx network, thus killing my internet connection. Is there any way I could avoid doing this?

2. ribbonthecat thread starter macrumors regular

Is this thing dead?

OK, now the damn thing doesn't seem to work at all. I went into the Airport Admin Utility, to try to make the thing have some security, so other people on my network couldn't play stuff on my speakers. But now I can't even pick up the signal that the AEx gives off, even though it's about a meter from my computer. Do I need to spend the rest of the Afternoon talking to Apple?

Oh, yeah, I've tried using a paperclip to reset it. Doesn't seem to do anything.

3. ribbonthecat thread starter macrumors regular

I tried resetting it again, and now it seems to work as before. But I still have my original problem. Is there a way to stream music without switching wireless networks?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I can't think of one, unless the router that someone with the wired connection is using is also an Apple one and they add your Express as a WDS station to their network.

5. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

You just need to set it to join the existing network you're already using to connect to the Net ("client mode").

6. ribbonthecat thread starter macrumors regular

OK, I just tried that, and the light on the AEx turned from flashing orange to a green. But it didn't extend the range of the network I'm using (the router is a Linksys one), it stopped working as a music router, and the Airport setup Utility was not able to locate it. I reset it to its factory conditions, and now it works fine.

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I don't know what you're doing, but just setting it to join your existing network will definitely work for AirTunes. It isn't meant to extend the network in this mode.

Make sure you're inputting the correct security information if the Linksys router has any setup e.g. WPA password.