Airport Express...how good is your range?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by supafly1703, Jan 9, 2005.

1. supafly1703 macrumors regular

Hey,

I am considering setting up a home wireless network in a two story 3500 sq. foot house...how many should I get? What kind of range through floors/walls have you guys experienced? Thanks!

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I have a 2900 square foot 2-story home also. The airport express is in my room ( the corner of the house - upstairs) and it will reach the entire distance of the house, and have 4 bars still. I don't know if mine is abnormal, but you will have similar results. (an amazing buy i might add)

kyle

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have one with apparently similar range. Of course, where you locate your base stations can have an enormous impact on the range - sometimes moving them just a few feet makes all the difference.

4. gangst macrumors 6502a

the range is good but not great compared to other base stations iv used. but for its size and capabilities its great

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    depends on what your house is made of

if it has concrete and reinforced steel then the range really suffers

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I think range varies because of walls and such. I have a Dell G router and my imac has the extreme card in it and the range is awful. My iMac is 50 feet from the router and i have 2 bars. I blame this on the Dell router, its cheap and I had to go through 3 before I found one that would work with my isp.
    I have Airport Exprees but only for streaming music and not for routing. The range on it is great!

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just to emphasize what's been said: while the AE has good range (but not exceptional compared to something with external antennae), what is by far most important is its position relative to you. Signal strength varies inversely proportionally to distance and somewhere between linearly and inversely proportional to the amount of non-radio-transparent material between you and it. Air produces almost no reduction. Wood and drywall produce a fair amount. Concrete produces a lot. Metal often essentially blocks the signal completely. Of course, signals often bounce around a bit, which can be helpful.

So... an AE can't compete with, say, a Linksys WRT54G with the latest signal-boosting hack installed. But it should be fine for you - as long as it's placed properly.

Edit: to answer your question, unless your house is build more solidly than most, 1-2 properly placed AE's should work just fine for you. 2 will almost definitely work, and 1 very well might be fine.

8. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I have a Netgear router in the middle of my house on the main floor (2 story with basement - 3000 total square feet with finished basement). I have no problems getting great signal to the entire house.

9. supafly1703 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys...and if I get multiple AE's, do all of them have to be connected to an ethernet port? Also, how well does it operate with XP...Dad has a Dell :eek:

10. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

No, one has to be plugged in, the other will 'extend' the others range. You can plug in speakers throughout the house to have wireless music at all times, and It works well with XP.

kyle

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Should connect just fine to the Dell. Also, no, only one needs an ethernet port connection (to the broadband modem or your router). Any additional ones can be configured to extend the range of the first and can actually be set up as a bridge - meaning you can plug ethernet into it to connect to a non-wireless device, like a computer, hub, or Xbox.

12. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

I was thinking about doing this in order to connect my PS2 to the internet. Has anyone had success with this type of configuration?

As to the original post, we use two Airport Express Base Stations, with WDS, and the range is great for where we need it. However, we might purchase a third for the other end of our house in the future.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I got it to work with a Linksys/AE duo - perhaps some of what I did might help. Here's an earlier post:

14. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

Apple says it can be done too: AirPort Express

Thanks for the information jsw. Looks like tomorrow could become quite busy, with MacWorld and setting up my PS2 :)

15. minion macrumors newbie

How about in reverse?

How could i do this in reverse? Is it possible?
    Extending airport with the WRT54G?