Airport Express idea...can it be done?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Whigga Spitta, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

The Comcast installers are here, putting in a new cable internet line. The original plan did not work as planned so how's this for an idea. I am thinking of having the modem connected to a Linksys WRT54G in the family room (no computer) and having it broadcast a wireless signal throughout the house (2 PC's, PowerBook, iBook). One PC has a wireless card, the other does not. Is it possible to send a wireless signal to the Airport Express, and have that connected via ethernet to the PC? That would be wonderful seeing as that PC is connected to the printer I would like to share. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Here's a thread on this subject and connecting to an Airport Extreme base station.

No word on if it will work with the Linksys, though...

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Since you want to connect a PC and not a Mac (the Macs can obviously connect wirelessly already), and since you want to use a Linksys WRT54G (a fine router, BTW, esp. for the price), you'll likely be best off getting something like the Linksys WUSB54G, which will plug right into the USB port on your PC. I have the old 802.11 version of it, and it worked like a charm on my PC (before I stopped using the PC).