Airport Express Internet Connection Issue...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kiwi_the_iwik, May 19, 2005.

1. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Well - I went out and did it. I bought a G5 iMac 2GHz and an Airport Express.

I'm using my original modem - a CA61E ADSL 1-port Ethernet Router - to connect. It worked flawlessly with my G4 Cube, but now that I'd like to set up a network for a 12" G4 PowerBook laptop as well, I can't seem to connect...

Basically, when I FIRST got broadband 3 years ago, I bypassed the NAT settings on my router so that the Network Preferences on the computer sent my static IP address directly to the ISP, rather than being assigned an IP address via the router first (i.e. 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1). This was because the built-in firewall on the router wasn't letting me use iChat, and I couldn't control port forwarding. I therefore opted for a much more controllable software firewall...

My issue now is that when I plugged in the Airport Express to the router, I can see it clearly enough, but I cannot work out how to use it as a "hub", so other users can log on and connect to the net using my router...

The AP Express is dishing out individual IP's, but it's not allowing ANY other user to connect. Currently, I'm surfing wirelessly on the iMac, but have NO idea how it connected. The PowerBook, however, doesn't even want to know. I thought it was self-configuring, but it seems that I've made it remarkably unneccessarily convoluted.

Does anyone have ANY simpler method to do what I'm VAGUELY attempting to do?!?

I await your replies..

Thanks!!!

:)

2. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

OK - OK.... I admit it. I'm a pillock.

It took me all of - erm - 37 seconds to work out how ridiculous I was. It seems that I declined to accept the initial setup details for the Airport Express right at the start, so I was trying to change all the settings MANUALLY....

Argh!

Anyway - a paperclip in the right hole and a few seconds later, and I was back on track.

Sorry for being an imbecile - Arn, please close this thread to relieve me of any further NOOB embarrassment...

:rolleyes:

3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Too late ... I've only just finished laughing .... !!! :D

4. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

You can't REALLY blame me...

I'm doing a week of overnights at work, and instead of going to bed when I get home, I can't keep my hands off my new computer.

It's really sort of sad...

:eek: