airport express/internet problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brian4610, Apr 14, 2005.

1. brian4610 macrumors regular

I just got a new PB and was trying to connect to the internet via my airport express. I tried to take my existing internet connection (DSL) with my desktop and plug (ethernet) it into my airport express...needless to say it didn't work...so then i tried to go straight into my PB's ethernet and again no success....any advice?

Also, I tried and failed to get my iogear bt minimouse to get recognized but for whatever reason, no luck....what should i do.

2. kg9ov macrumors member

I don't know if this is your problem, but worth a shot. Did you power the DSL modem off and back on when you plugged it into the airport express? I don't know of any DSL modems in particular, but I know with some of the cable modems this is required. They lock onto the MAC address of the network adapter they are attached to and will not talk to a different NIC until the cable modem is restarted.

-Tony

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

DSL usually requires a user name and password to be set into the base station, which is the Express, under a PoPPE or something like this. How did you setup your orginal base station or router, since you didn't have the DSL plug into your PB, you had to have something else.

4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Is the modem running in router or bridged mode? If it is router mode, turn on DHCP in the Airport. If it is bridge mode turn on PPPoE in the Airport and enter the username/password.

Edit: in both cases the Mac should be set for DHCP, because that is how it will connect to the Airport. It's only the way the Airport connects to the modem that has two possibilities.

5. brian4610 thread starter macrumors regular

that was it! thanks!