Airport Express + iPaq, but no computer. Possible?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by maddav, Apr 7, 2005.

1. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

I'm planning on going to Los Angeles in a few months time, to sort out some University business, and I've booked a hotel room with high speed ethernet connection, so I can keep in contact with my family etc. in the UK. I was intending to buy an iPaq within the next couple of days, and I had just thought that I could save me worrying about my iBook in the room, if I don't want to carry it around campus at USC, by using my iPaq.

OK enough with the background :)

If I bought an Airport Express, could I just connect that to the connection in my room, and then use my iPaq (that has WLAN) to access the internet, without having an iBook present?

2. maddav thread starter macrumors 6502

maddav

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

yes and no. it depends on how the network is setup you connecting is setup to allow you to do it. you might need to do some tweaking with the settings in the airport express to get that to work. i travel with my airport express and powerbook to different hotels. sometimes i can get it work, sometimes i can't. my dad has had better luck with the dlink travel router though and his thinkpad. the dlink travel router has a little more functionality for those situations.

4. maddav thread starter macrumors 6502

maddav

Cool thanks, I'll check it out :)

edit: OK, just checked it out, and the D-Link product looks great, I was just wondering, as I've only ever had a wireless setup at home, what mode would I use, Router or Access Point, and would I need to setup the Travel router beforehand at home, or could I just use it "out of the box"?