AirPort Express is being bad!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JW8725, Aug 10, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2005
    Alately my AirPort Express signal has gone from full bars to 1 less. Now your prolly thinking its only one bar whats the big deal? Well the AirPort Express is directly below my mac on the floor. The signal seems intermittent as sometimes it will go to full signal and other times drop one.

Also I tend to frequent my friends wireless signal from across the street and have noticed that when I try to connect back to my AirPort Express signal it comes up with an error message. Failed to connect it says. Is the AirPort on the way out? Its barely 1 month old!
  2. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    I would have to say that one bar up and down of fluctuation is 100% normal.
  3. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    Yes fluctuation is very normal... especially if you're living in a city where lots of people now have devices operating on the 2.4Ghz frequency - other people's wifi networks, A/V transmitter/receivers, cordless phones, microwave ovens...

You could try changing the channel on the Airport Express to see if you get less interference and better reception. I think the default is 6. I've set mine to channel 13 and my wireless video sender is on channel 1 i think. this seems to give me slightly less interference anyway.
  4. wheezy macrumors 65816

Apr 7, 2005
    Alpine, UT
    Tell your neighbor to stop calling the 900 #'s all the time, each time he's on the phone your signal drops to 1 bar.

Ahhh...the 2.4Ghz Wars, now available, in your neighborhood. Steal your neighbors internet, and listen in on their phone conversations. Better than a movie, available 24/7
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    rossoUK, are you on Tiger? From memory, Tiger's icon has changed from one that represents range to one that represents through-put. It's a pretty subtle difference but it can mean that despite having awesome reception, if there's another problem with the line (aforementioned interference for example), the bars will drop.