airport express is broken!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by whyrichard, Sep 12, 2004.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002
    I hooked up my airport express to the ethernet network at my school, and at first it worked fine.

but then the I.T. guy came along and took the thing because it wasn't set up to be encrypted. i got it back and tried to set it up to be 128 whatever encryption, and now i can't get it to find the network.

it just blinks amber. i reset it completely by pushing on the little button on the express, i redo everything, i set it up without encryption just like before... i can't get it to work at all with the internet! everything else seems fine, but i can't get online with it anymore!

the ethernet cable and connection is fine, i hook the cable up to the port on my ibook and i get on just fine. but no luck through airport express. what happened?

2. toughboy macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Izmir, Turkey
    Well I would reset it a few times more.. and if it still doesnt work, bring it to a apple store to show it to a genius..
  3. zwida macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2001
    Seems unlikely that it's actually busted (unless that's one nasty IT guy you've got). I had the IT director scewing around with the settings to my office when he discovered I was broadcasting a signal. This may be useless advice, but I finally discovered that it was the IT guy's handy work and not my busted Airport when I took it to another office and tried it there.

If hard resets and other connections don't sort this out, sounds like you've got a pretty good gripe against the guy who took it away.
  4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    isn't there some apple care for this product, atleast the first 90 days? Has it even been out more than 90 days?

Did you look at the proceedure for factory reset?

Good luck, I have an issue with mine I am about to start a thread on. :confused:
  5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    Chances are there is absolutely nothing wrong with your AirPort Express. Most likely, the IT department at your university has made your port unable to broadcast a wireless signal.

See, most universities don't allow students to setup a wireless network, secure or not. Last year, my friend decided he wanted to have a wireless network in his room. 2 days later, it wouldn't work any longer. Then he got an email from the IT department stating that they terminated his internet because of an illegal wireless network. He got the school to turn his internet back on, but the port wouldn't broadcast a wireless signal any longer.

So, you should always check with your university before you setup a wireless network. I'd say, that in your case, you're not going to be able to go wireless.