airport express issue

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bcleland, Dec 8, 2004.

1. bcleland macrumors member

My airport express was working fine, till I moved. Everything worked fine after the move, then it started to work only after I unplugged it and removed all the cables and then plugged everthing back in. Then it did not work at all.

My question is should I plug the unit directly into the wall or is it ok to plug it into a surger protecter. The reason I ask is originally I had it plugged into a wall socket by itself and I would unplug when I was not using. Everything worked great.
    Now I have it in a surger protector on a socket that is controlled by a wall switch. Basically I am wondering is there anything inherantly wrong in using the surger protector and turning it off when not in use.
    Btw I have since replaced the one that was not working, (love the warranty) I just don't to have to replace it again. Was this a fluke or did I casue the problem.

Does this make sense?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It makes sense to me that the base station would need to be reset after having its power cut, since wireless access points like the AirPort Express Base Station were not designed to be turned on and off repeatedly. There's nothing wrong with using a surge protector per se - it's just getting confused by you turning it on and off. It might start working again if you use the AirPort updater to restore it to factory settings then configure it again.

3. shavs macrumors newbie

I use mine in hotels a fair bit - never had an issues just pulling it out of the wall and plugging it in again later. There's nothing bad at all about using a surge protector either, if it's a good one it'll protect it from more minor fluctuations in the power supply as well which is good for it.

4. bcleland thread starter macrumors member

well i am turning it on and off because I had one fried by lighning once and am a little paranoid.
    i will leave it on all the time if that is the best way to go.

thanks