Airport Express life expectancy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RockTheGlobe, Jan 4, 2007.

1. RockTheGlobe macrumors member

I've been having a lot of problems recently with my Internet connection dropping out. Time Warner Cable just replaced my cable modem a couple of days ago, but the problem's still occurring -- I'll be going along just fine, and suddenly my connection will drop. The Airport Express light will stay green and I'll have a full signal according to my Powerbook G4, and the cable modem will tell me it's still getting a signal from Time Warner, but the laptop can't access the Internet.

I've had the Airport Express for about 2-3 years now. Time Warner is telling me when they tested my modem (when my laptop said it couldn't connect to the Internet) that they couldn't see a problem on their end, and it was most likely the Airport Express despite the fact that its light was still green and the Powerbook was showing a connection. Should I replace my Airport?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, have you tested resetting the AirPort by unplugging it from the power for a minute or so? :)

3. RockTheGlobe thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, usually when I do that, I have to reset the cable modem as well. I was under the impression that the MAC address on the Airport Express was tied to the cable modem, and that if I reset the Airport, I have to reset the cable modem no matter what or they won't be able to communicate.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not necessarily, but resetting them both can't hurt.