Airport Express Limitations?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jrober, Sep 23, 2004.

1. jrober macrumors regular

Jan 22, 2003
    Heathfield, UK
    I want to buy an Airport Express but need to understand its limitations first. Can you assist?

1. If I have a broadband modem linked by ethernet to Airport Express can I share the connection with two WiFi enabled Mac's and any other devices?

2. If I connect one computer to the broadband modem can I still use Airport Express to share the connection with the internet? Are there any challenges with passing the connection through another computer?

3. If I am using Airport Express streaming iTunes to my stereo does this stop me using the connection to the internet? If so what is the alternative to allow both to happen wirelessly?

Thanks in advance

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    yes, that's how it's designed to work.

no. you can however set that one computer to share its internet connection for the rest, if it has two network interfaces. for example ethernet to the broadband modem and wireless for other computers.

no. you can stream music and surf at the same time; however, part of your wireless bandwidth is being used for the streaming, so the surfing MIGHT be slower than without streaming if the wireless signal is not good enough.
  3. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    1. yes, apple's web site says airport express supports up to 10 computers connected at the same time. i have only tested mine with four at once.

2. no. your broadband modem only has one ethernet port, the airport express only has one ethernet port. you must connect these ports to allow the express to share the network. if you need another wired connection, you can get a wired (with no wireless) router for twenty or thirty dollars, and if you look hard i have seen them for free or for ten dollars after mail in rebates.

3. you can stream to the airport express AND get the internet at the same time. as long as you have an airport extreme on your computer you will not notice a slow down in your network. the airport express only uses about 1.8 to 2 mbps of your 54mpbs wireless connection. i would warn against trying this with a normal airport card (802.11b) i have had some small troubles with the b cards not being able to hold a consistant stream. this would imply the internet would not work very well either because the b cards would be worked pretty hard.