Airport express network to wired PC

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gear02, Sep 10, 2004.

1. gear02 macrumors member

My powerbook is on an airport express network with ip of 10.0.1.2. The airport is then plugged into the router, and as an ip of 192.168.1.100.

I want to connect to a PC share that's on the wired network with ip 192.168.1.101.

Now back when my pbook was on the wired network I could easily access the PC. However, now I can't and I believe that's due to both computers being on different subnets. How would I do this? I've tried searching but I couldn't find anything.

2. gear02 thread starter macrumors member

3. Stormyguy macrumors regular

I also have this problem. I have one PC and two iMacs wired and my Powerbook wireless through the airport express. I can see one of the macs (OSX) but not the other. I can get the PC visible via a piece of software called PCMaclan (basic but sufficient for me). I don't know why I can't see the other Mac though.

Sorry I can't get to grips with your problem but maybe this info is relevant?

Also, not wanting to hijack your thread but I have another possibly related (??) airport express problem - I have a colleague here from Australia with an IBM laptop (WinXP) and he just cannot connect to my wireless network (via Airport Express) which I have protected with a 13-letter password as per the airport express setup recommendation. Now, I am used to just switching on my Powerbook and it invites me to join any available network (with a password of course if required) - his laptop can find my network but there's no web/network access. Too many complicated issues for me - I like the simplicity of my Macs!!!

Any advice gratefully received - and again sorry to add to your thread gear02!!!

Danny

4. Stormyguy macrumors regular

If anyone has any ideas for gear02 and I, I'd be (and I'm sure he would too) be grateful?

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Okay, this isn't what you want to hear, but...

Given that you're talking about two different private subnets, I don't know that this is possible. That's the point of a private subnet - routers are supposed to ignore addresses in those ranges.

Having said that: Here's what I'd try - and I have no idea if it will work.

Set the Airport Express, from the Network tab of the Airport Admin Utility, to not "Distribute IP addresses". In other words, uncheck that box.

This will hopefully result in your laptop getting its IP and routing information from the wired router.

Edit: Another possibility would be to have the AE use a different part of the same subnet that your wired router distributes. That is, let the wired router do 192.168.1.100-150 and the AE do 192.168.1.200-220 or something like that.