Airport express new or is older one fine?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Knisse, Aug 30, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Hi,

I have a new macbook air with 10.8 Mountain Lion, a standard router and is planning on buying a speaker (Nad Viso 1) and need an airport express to get it wireless.

Would i be fine if i went with the A1264 model? Or would you definitely recommend getting the newest A1392 model?

I do not need the extra Ethernet port at all. I just want to be as future proof as possible without spending extra money on something i do not need. What i am afraid of, is of course then mavericks is out, then i am already left behind, or do you think that the A1264 version would work with Mavericks?

2. macrumors G5

Macman45

I was having a few issues with the older AE so bought the new one...Works great, and is way more stable up on the 5GHZ band.

3. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

For your purposes, I would get the older one. IMO it is better because there is no power cord to deal with. It is just a standard 802.11b/g/n router and will work with Mavericks or anything else for years to come.

4. thread starter macrumors member

Great to hear, just picked up a used A1264 for what is equivalent to 44$ shipped

5. macrumors 603

I was sad when they got rid of the awesome design. Wonder why they changed it.

6. thread starter macrumors member

I reckon it was starting to get difficult to fit extra add-ons, like the extra ethernet port. Or perhaps they just want to change everything once in while to appear like a new exciting product.

7. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

Dunno, but I like it so much I bought a second one refurb'd from Apple just to have a spare for travel.

8. macrumors member

I've had the old and the new and noticed no difference. But it's suppose to be better!!

9. macrumors regular

Isn't it rumored that a new Airport Express will be announced this month? May be worth the wait.