Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makeshift

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2004
Hey, I can connect to my airport express and use the internet, do wireless printing and everything.

For once (now with apple's new update), EVERYTHING WORKS... but one thing.

AirTunes doesn't work because that lil popup menu in Itunes isnt there. I have the box checked in the preferences to detect such speakers and the speakers are connected to my airport express and powered up.

The lil popup thing doesnt appear. If it would only appear, i could stream the music. Is there any way i could force the button to appear? Anything else I'm supposed to do?

In the Airport Express configuration I enabled airtunes.

Also, as a note my setup is the simplest. It goes:
Internet > Airport Express ((((wireless)))) to computer.

Thats it and the printer and speakers are connected to the airport express.

That was long winded. But PLEASE HELP if possible.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Ok, so you have the Express plugged in with a USB printer, Ethernet, and Sterio, all into one Express. I'm wondering if the Express can take all those connections. I mean in two ways, does the manual say you can hook up all three connections like that? And another, is if power outlet is giving it enough electricity for all those connections? Another question, are you close enough to the Express, and is there any structures in your home that could break up the wireless signal?

makeshift

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2004
The obvious isnt the case,

I'm using iTunes 4.6.whatever
and AirPort Software 4.0.2 (which is the latest)...

Any other ideas?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Are you running Panther? (Sounds dumb, but that is listed as a requirement for Airtunes)

Sorry, I really AM trying to come up with something a bit more helpful but so far no bolt of lightning has come down from on high... :D

makeshift

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2004
Windows firewall is turned off and I'm using ZoneAlarm Security Suite (latest version)... ZoneAlarm is excellent at allowing programs access the internet/network when needed... way better than that sh*t symantec internet security program that just swallows up resources.

I read the help file and apparently with zone alarm you only have to "allow" specific UDP ports when on high security mode. I'm in medium security so you can only block certain ports and it allows just about everything.

Any Ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.