Airport Express: print via wireless AND Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pdel, Jun 26, 2006.

1. pdel macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2006
    I have DSL service which I access via a Belkin router (wired) hooked to my DSL modem. I have both a Mac (iMac G5) and a PC (Dell w/XP) connected to the router, without problems. But... I just bought an Airport Express base station for printer sharing and also to allow my daughter wireless PC laptop usage. I've hooked the Express to the router (Ethernet) and printer (Canon S330) to the Express (USB), and am able to print to it no problem from my Mac via Bonjour.
    My desktop PC, however, has no wireless card, so I had hoped to print via Ethernet. The printer shows up in the USB printer field in the Summary window of Airport Extreme Admin Utility, and I've carefully configured the printer as described (local with the TCP number of the Express, etc.). It all seems to work until I get to the Test Page part of the printer setup process; nothing happens for a long time, then the printer window opens and says "collecting printer status.", and nothing else happens except a later alert saying the print operation failed...
    So, is there actually a way to set up Express to simultaneously host a printer via wireless from one computer and over a router-hosted local Ethernet network from another? Thanks for any light anyone can shed...
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    So is your Mac connected to the Express in the same way as the desktop PC, or is it now connected wirelessly? Have you tried using Bonjour For Windows on the PC? :)
  3. pdel thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2006
    The iMac is still connected to Belkin Ethernet router. But when I print from the Mac, I'm now selecting from the Bonjour printers in the drop-down in the Print dialog.
    As for Bonjour for Windows, I haven't tried it because I assumed that it would only be relevant if I were trying to print wirelessly from the PC, which I'm not because the PC desktop has no wireless card. I want the PC to be able to print via the wired Ethernet connection from the Airport Express to the router, without disabling the possibility of other computers (e.g. PC laptop) printing via wireless. As I mentioned, the Summary window of Airport Extreme Admin Utility on the PC is indicating that the printer is there, but nothing happens when I try to print to it (the same printer was working fine when connected directly to the PC via USB port and, as mentioned, works for iMac via Bonjour when connected to the Airport Express).
  4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Well, I can tell you that this CAN work, since I'm doing exactly that, but with two Macs. In the case of the wired tower, it was literally plug-and-play--it just showed up in the printer selection dialogue, no questions asked.

Since I'm assuming this is a Bonjour feature, I'd try downloading and installing Bonjour for Windows, just to see if it does you any good. Maybe not, but it won't hurt anything if it doesn't work, it's a quick install, and there's a chance it'll get you what you need.
  5. pdel thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2006
    Thank you!!!

It's up and running, thanks to you Makosuke. I downloaded Bonjour for Windows and did the printer wizard, and I can now print from both computers, one Ethernet, the other wireless.
    I'm sure there's a lesson for me in here about stubbornly sticking to one's assumptions, but it also seems rather lame of Apple to neglect to mention this part of the puzzle in the setup instructions that come with the package; not sure why they assume that someone who buys an Airport would necessarily want to do everything via wireless from then on. Anyway, thanks again for the tip...
  6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    Yeah Bonjour is for all mac networks. Not just wireless.