Airport Express question...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coleg, Mar 20, 2005.

1. coleg macrumors regular

Does the little Airport Express brick(http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/) work just like a base station?

I want to setup wireless internet in my dorm room and don't know to get a base station or an airport express. What's the range?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well the express has some limits than the regular base station

it can only have ten users, regular is 50
    and it doesnt have the extra lan port

if you dont need either of those the express should be fine for you, but you might want to check to make sure its allowed in your dorm, not all colleges will let you set up a wireless access point

3. coleg thread starter macrumors regular

it'll be okay to setup in my room. i have no need for 50 users. just myself and my roommate.

but it works pretty much the same? i won't need the extra lan port.

what is the range?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the range is the same as the regular airport extreme basestation, which is up to 150 ft. i believe, and its configured the same, but also has airtunes built in

when you do set it up make sure to password protect it and you might want to make it a closed network just for security's sake

5. coleg thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, i planned on passwording it.

do i password it by hooking it to my computer.

i don't want it hooked up to a computer at all. is that possible?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

when you first get it, run the airport setup assistant, select basestation and that is how you configure it, you can also configure it through the airport admin unitity as well if you need to change anything, no need to directly hook it up to your computer at all