airport express question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mdkk, Nov 6, 2005.

1. mdkk macrumors newbie

i want to use my airport express / cable modem with both my g5 (no airport card), and powerbook (airport express card). I do have a router, but so far have not been able to use both computers simultaneously, any ideas?

2. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Some more specifics on what you have working would be good.

You should be able to wirelessly connect with your PB. With your G5, you will need to run an ethernet cable to your router or airport express (or get an airport card).

3. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

Similar questions

I have a similar problem to MDKK. I have a PB w/Airport card installed, and an iBook without. They are both currently connected to the internet via an Ethernet router. Our Appletalk printer is connected up to the network via one of those Appletalk-Ethernet converter boxes (Asanti or something).

a) How easy is it to install an Airport card into the iBook (way out of warranty), or do I have to get a dealer to do it?

b) What are the advantages of buying Airport Express - simply speed? Will both cards work with it (the PB has a 9.52 card)?

c) I presume we will be able to see and use the printer from anywhere within range of the AP transmitter?

4. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

a. What kind of iBook do you have. Plugging in Airport express card is usually a matter of minutes. On the iBook G4 you remove the keyboard and plug in the card.

b. Yes both cards will work with Airport express.

Airport Express will give you a wireless environment in your house so you can excess the network wirelessly rather than through a ethernet gateway.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Check http://www.pbfixit.com for detailed instructions on installing the airport into your specific iBook, you didn't specify which one it was.

If that seems too hard, you could also consider a USB dongle as people have done here http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050201091946184

B

6. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

A cinch!

Thanks for that! It's a PB G4 12", and looking at the excellent pbfixit.com site it looks a breeze.

Now to get ordering, and we shall be wireless!

7. mdkk thread starter macrumors newbie

i am using a linksys 5 port workgroup hub, powermac g5 (without an airport express card) and powerbook g4 (with airport card). I plug in the ethernet cable from the cable modem into the uplink slot of the linksys, then plug in two other ethernet cables from the powerbook and the g5 into slots 1, 2 of the linksys. I usually only get a connection from the g5, the airport express usually flashes the yellow light indication no valid connection. Any ideas?