Airport Express range issues

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by echeck, Sep 24, 2004.

1. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I just got a new Airport card and Airport Express today and was very excited about not having to string along a 70ft ethernet cable everywhere I go in my apartment with my iBook. ;)

But I'm having a major problem with the AE range. I am currently sitting about six or seven feet away from the AE and my airport meter is fluxuating between two and three marks. How can this be?? The range is quoted at 50ft for the AE but I lose my connection at less than 20ft. :mad:

I wouldn't think there would be any interference issues as the AE is plugged into a power outlet that is between my computer desk and a display cabinet, with nearly two feet between the two.

Do you think I just got a bad Airport Express? Or could I have a faulty Airport Extreme card?

Any and all suggestions and opinions are greatly appreciated. I really want to go back to being excited for this product. :(

Thanks!

2. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

Are you (or, if you are in an apartment or condo, a neighbor) using a 2.4GHz cordless phone? They interfere with all 802.11 networks, not just AE.

3. dross macrumors regular

dross

I once had the anten not fully conected on my airport card and that caused intermint range problems and took me forever to figuer out. So I would check that.

4. coconn06 macrumors regular

To be nit-picky, 2.4GHz wireless phones don't intefere with 802.11a, which uses the 5GHz band. However, 802.11a is used a very few consumers, who mostly use 802.11b and 802.11g (which is as fast as a but compatible with b).

Otherwise you're exactly right, and having a cordless phone could definitely be causing a problem (because AE uses 802.11g).

5. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

hmmm...that was an issue in the very beginning when I was installing everything, I didn't have the antenna hooked up all the way. Maybe I still didn't get it all the way in.

I do have a cordless phone but I'm not sure off the top of my head whether or not it's a 2.4ghz. hmmm...

EDIT: I just checked to make sure the airport card and antenna cable were in securely, and they are. Still getting horrible reception, only two bars of reception now, and I'm within ten feet of the AE in direct view.

Ugh.

Does anyone else have any ideas, or should I try giving Apple a call?

6. Celeron macrumors 6502a

There's all sorts of things that can interfere with your wireless signal. Cordless phones, microwave, bluetooth devices, cordless keyboards and mice running on 2.4ghz. Try changing the channel your Airport Express is using. You should only set it to channel 1 or 11. People used to say 1, 6, and 11, but it has recently been discovered that 6 interferes with 1 and 11. Try channels 1 or 11 and see if that helps any.

7. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

I tried channel 1 and 11 and they were both the same. I unplugged my cordless phone and still didn't affect the reception. I don't have any wireless peripherals, but I do have a microwave. ;)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far, but unless anyone has any other ideas out there then I guess I'll be returning the AE. This reception is just pathetic. :(

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Do you have the extension cord that comes with the AExpress expansion pack (along with the stereo cables and what have you)? If so plug the AEx into that and try placing it up somewhere high, like on top of a book shelf. I am told that a wireless signal is the best when the wireless device is higher up than the computers. Don't know if that will solve your problem, but it's worth a try!