Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2001
I posted this in the peripherals form but realize this might be a better fit...

Airport Express Speaker Options?

Simple question I'm thinking about utilizing a few Airport Express around the house and wanted to know... What are you using to connect speakers to the airport express?

1 - Powered Speakers (aka with built in amps)?
2 - Amp+Speakers??

What kind of results have you gotten and more importantly what kind of amps or speakers should I (would you) be looking at today if you had to do it all over again?

I'm sure the Amp+Speakers is a better route but I don't want to spend a lot on this (not a huge audiophile by even the loosest definitions) and if I did go the AMP route I'd really like to use a 'low profile' one (small) if at all possible.

Thanks for any and and insights!

Dave

jamisonbaines

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2007
CA
ok this seems like an obvious one-i have it hooked into my stereo. anything with rca inputs will work (which is the majority of stereos these days.)

i wanted to add a point to this question, who is using the optical out? i don't find a lot of options for mini stereos with optical in's when i look around (any suggestions?)

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2001
I've been very pleased with my powered HK SoundSticks II plugged directly into the AE.

Interesting... what sized room do you have them in?

On the other hand... I'm opting for something where I can either wall/ceiling mount (yea I know then I need the AMP) or in some way keep them kinda out of sight... but the subwoofer seem to be kinda 'front and center' if you know what I mean and I'm guessing that the 2 speakers + woofer need to be pretty close together.

I guess I could make it work but with a very traditional living-room style the wife is not going to want them seen... (too modern for the rest of the room).

Family Room and Guest Room might be a more acceptable fit with the wife.

Dave

chedda

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2006
Underwater
Optical

ok this seems like an obvious one-i have it hooked into my stereo. anything with rca inputs will work (which is the majority of stereos these days.)

i wanted to add a point to this question, who is using the optical out? i don't find a lot of options for mini stereos with optical in's when i look around (any suggestions?)

Yes i am using the optical out it works fine imho i believe its better to keep the signal in the digital domain. My sony amp has a few optical ins luckily, however if i were to get another amp i would look for a minimum of five.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.