Airport Express the Best Solution?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mduser63, Nov 27, 2004.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm looking to get a system that will allow me to wireless stream music to multiple locations in my house. I've been planning to get an Airport Express, but I wan't to make sure it will allow me to do what I want to do. The main thing I need to be able to do is stream music from my PC (I might use the Mac afterall, but PC compatibility is important) to one OR MORE locations in the house. An extra bonus would be the ability to stream different streams to different stereos in the house at the same time, but the most important thing is to be able to stream the same music to more than one location at the same time. Can all of this be done with Airport Express/AirTunes? If Airport Express can't do this, is there another product that would be better solution? Also, while this is not a necessity, it'd be nice to use a Windows 98 computer to do the streaming, just because I have an old Win98 laptop that would be perfect for using as a dedicated jukebox, failing that, we do have two WinXP machines and 2 Macs that could be used.

Thanks!

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

You would need an airport express for every stereo you want to stream music to. And there is no real alternative. But yes, airport express is the best.

3. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

As of right now, I do not believe that you can stream to more than one location simultaneously. Not with AirPort Express, even if you have more than one of them. I do not know what else is out there. There may be some other brand product that allows this.

4. dav macrumors 6502

Ahem

Of course, the music is not in perfect sync :(

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Since Airport Express would be your best alternative, it's too bad that you didn't make the purchase yesterday. The $98 price was a deal not to miss.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I took advantage the sale, got three units. One for my base, one for the living room, and the other as a floater (right now in the other computer room).

It took a reset or two to get the whole thing working, but it is so great!