Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogus1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
I am interested in setting up a wireless network, and the new Airport Express sounds pretty nifty -- but I notice it is still priced $70 less than the older Airport Extreme base station. Despite the built-in modem, is there any technological advantage to the older Extreme base station. It does not have the AirTunes capabilities. Is it a superior Wi-Fi broadcaster? I just don't get what about it would warrant and older piece of machinery costing more than the new model.

Is Airport Express essentially a replacement for Airport Extreme?

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
AirPort Extreme allows up to 50 computers to be connected. Express tops out under 10 I believe. You can also connect wired clients to it. For most people this isn't a big deal. It's another example of Apple's consumer vs pro lines.

w00tmaster

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2004
Unless you want the stereo option

that comes with airport express, get a 3rd party router(linksys netgear etc). Unless you need to share a modem connection, Airport Extreme is over priced(though I do admit it does make a nice fashion statement). I am realy surprised that they didn't drop the price of those things a while ago.
I know that Apple's stuff tends to be a bit pricey, and usually worth it, but 2x the cost for identical functionality is pushing it....

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
The extreme base station is well worth the extra money in my opinion, the current models have external antenna ports so the range can be extended a lot more.

Even though the express uses the same power/frequency as the extreme i would expect the extreme to perform better due to its shape.

The wired LAN socket is useful especially if the base is near a computer without a wireless card.

also one model supports power over ethernet which is useful if your router can power it (mainly expensive cisco ones - business use, hardly any use at home).

Bye

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.