Airport Express vs. Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dogus1, Jul 19, 2004.

1. dogus1 macrumors newbie

I am interested in setting up a wireless network, and the new Airport Express sounds pretty nifty -- but I notice it is still priced $70 less than the older Airport Extreme base station. Despite the built-in modem, is there any technological advantage to the older Extreme base station. It does not have the AirTunes capabilities. Is it a superior Wi-Fi broadcaster? I just don't get what about it would warrant and older piece of machinery costing more than the new model.

Is Airport Express essentially a replacement for Airport Extreme?

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

AirPort Extreme allows up to 50 computers to be connected. Express tops out under 10 I believe. You can also connect wired clients to it. For most people this isn't a big deal. It's another example of Apple's consumer vs pro lines.

3. w00tmaster macrumors regular

Unless you want the stereo option

that comes with airport express, get a 3rd party router(linksys netgear etc). Unless you need to share a modem connection, Airport Extreme is over priced(though I do admit it does make a nice fashion statement). I am realy surprised that they didn't drop the price of those things a while ago.
    I know that Apple's stuff tends to be a bit pricey, and usually worth it, but 2x the cost for identical functionality is pushing it....

4. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

The extreme base station is well worth the extra money in my opinion, the current models have external antenna ports so the range can be extended a lot more.

Even though the express uses the same power/frequency as the extreme i would expect the extreme to perform better due to its shape.

The wired LAN socket is useful especially if the base is near a computer without a wireless card.

also one model supports power over ethernet which is useful if your router can power it (mainly expensive cisco ones - business use, hardly any use at home).

Bye

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

They did. $199. Used to be $250.