Airport Express vs. Base Station

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JzzTrump22, May 23, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

What is the difference between the express and the bigger base station? Is it better to get express for just 1 computer using the wireless on the network? The way i would set it up is i have a linsys 4 port router that has 4 machines hooked up to it, i want to take my current wire and plug it into the airport express and be able to walk around my house with my laptop wile the other computers stay hooked up to the router. Will this setup work?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

An express is more a mobile base station, repeater, or a link for your iTunes to your stereo. Where as the regular base station is a network appliance that has more powerful networking abilities. Express is fine for hooking up one or more wireless computers, but leaves no room for wired computers. If you want to hook up some wired computers too, there is a better choice with the Linksys 4-port router with wireless built in. If you already have a 4-port router, and you have your laptop wired at the moment but want to go wireless, you can use the Express and use it to turn the wired connection into a wireless one.

3. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816