Airport Express vs Linksys WRT54g

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by i0Nic, Jun 29, 2006.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hey guys, I was originally looking to get the linksys due to all the praise it gets as a wireless router as well as the cheaper cost. However since I want to connect my printer wirelessly I would have to buy a seperate bluetooth printer adapter so it would even up the cost.

So should I get the Airport Express instead? I'm worried about the range as I'd like to be able to access the net downstairs too.. however that might not be possible with either router but I'm not sure.

Any help is appreciated!

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

my ape has better range than my linksys, also with the printer you need to directly have it connect to the ape via usb.

3. doug.hall macrumors regular

Remember the Airport Express does not contain a DSL modem (in fact it doesn't contain a modem of any kind). I've got a Linksys router and I connect it to my airport network. The range is similar however what I love about the airport is the ability to extend the range and also route music al over my house.

4. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

I have both. I can't see the APExp. Replacing my Linksys any time soon, because I need hardwired connections. Wireless is just too slow for computer-to-computer file transfer, and I can't control as many features on the APE as I can on the Linksys with a simple flash of 3rd party firmware.

But I do like the Airport Express for what it is, a music streamer and a print server. Although, my Lexmark 5150 wouldn't print(err it would print about one page every 5 minutes when you have a 40 page report, that's a LOOONG time to wait.)

5. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I'm going to connect the modem to the airport express as well as plug the printer into it.

Thanks for all your input, I think I'll go with the airport since I don't need a hardwired connection.

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Also, the WRT54G is horribly unreliable if you get a revision 5 box. I had to flash it with 3rd party firmware just to get it to maintain a connection for more than 10 minutes at a time.

And yes, it's that bad. There was an article about it on CNet and I realized I wasn't alone.

7. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

as far as my experience goes, belkin sucks, linksys is occasionally good, and apple airport is perfect.

8. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Anyone can tell you from reading Tom's Networking how bad it is. :rolleyes:

I still, and will always love, Belkin. ;)

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Actually, now that I've loaded DD-WRT firmware on it it's chugging right along. Seems much happier.

10. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Did you know with a little bit of bit editing, you can hack Linksys firmware onto a Belkin router? :cool: