Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Hello people, i am thinking of buying an airport express and just need some opinions from you lot.

Here are my concerns, is it really worth it to pay $129 for an AE or just go with 80 bucks with a WRT54G wireless router?

Whats the range like? any good? can i extend my existing network (belkin PRE N router)? i herd it can only extend the range of wrt54g

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i'm not sure about extending your range but the key benefit of an Airport Express is that you can stream your music to it. if you have no use for this then i don't see much point in getting one to be honest with you.

huggeee

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2006
I previously had an airport express as my wireless router, however i just changed it to a WRT54GS and my network now seems to run much faster.

I am yet to work out how to use the airport express to extend the range of my WRT54GS, it might be possible but i'm not sure?

Personally I think the WRT54GS is much better value and a better bit of gear, unless you want to use the airtunes....

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
huggeee said:
I am yet to work out how to use the airport express to extend the range of my WRT54GS, it might be possible but i'm not sure?

Unfortunately no, you need a wireless range extender or perhaps 2 wireless routers connected to each other, supporting WDS.

Odds of the AE supporting WDS are much lower than a snowball's chances of surviving in hell.

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
On the apple site it says you can use a Airport Express to extend your current network. http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/ I dont know how true this is. Just read the little "*" by the extending. "AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network.
"

rjgonzales

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Texas
I have 3 AEs that I bought refurbished ($99 down from $129) Now that airtunes supports multiple speaker playback, it was an easy way to get "whole house music" as I already had powered speakers in several rooms. It also allows me to have a wireless printer in my family room so I can print from my macbook without having to go to the study to get said printing.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Does printer sharing work for Windows systems too?

And more importantly... would the AE integrate well into an existing wireless network as a "client" and not as a "router"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.