airport express vs. router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by furrina, Nov 8, 2004.

1. furrina macrumors regular

Hi there,
    Sorry if this is repetitive, but my router crapped out a few months ago and I'd like to get my wireless back. I have a cable modem through Roadrunner.

My question is, is it worth it to get the Airport Express (the extra $60 bucks or so) vs. getting a plain ol' Linksys router for about $60?

It would be nice to do the AirTunes thing, though I can ust move my laptop over to my stereo and throw it into the mixer with an audio cable, so it's not vital. I suppose it might be nice to print wirelessly as well, but again not crucial.
    Does the AirportExpress work well for wireless internet with a cable modem which will be its basic use? Has anyone had any connectivity problems, or have it break? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

FYI I have a powerbook 15" 1.5 ghz with AE card, etc.

thanks!

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I have been extremely happy with my Airport Express. As long as you have wireless cards for ALL your computers, it should be a good choice.

Having a printer always available without needing to leave any particular computer on constantly is a plus too.

FYI I have both an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express, and am using the Express to extend my 802.11g network (as well as for Airtunes of course!).