Airport Express vs. Wireless phone

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by narco, Nov 10, 2004.

1. narco macrumors 65816

narco

So I'm really enjoying my new Airport Express, but I noticed for the first time today that iTunes automatically pauses the second my phone rings. I have a cordless phone and a fax machine, neither of which is plugging into the same place as the AE.

Is there any way to avoid this? I can sense that it'll be a really pain in the backside soon. Thank you.

Fishes,
    narco.

2. neoserver macrumors 6502

unfortunatly, the phone you bought operates on the same frequency as the Airport Extreme (2.4 GHz i think it is) and will cause interference when it rings or is used. I don't think you can fix it. The only thing i might suggest is trying to find a 900 MHz phone if they are even still being sold, i don't know if they are or not.

3. Poeben macrumors 6502

Are you using this with an Airport card (802.11b) or Airport Extreme (802.11g)?

There are known interference issues with 2.4Ghz cordless phones and 802.11b wireless networks. You can try changing the channel of your Airport Express and see if that has any effect. Otherwise, the best solution would probably be to replace the phone with one in the 900Mhz or 5Ghz band. Don't know if this will cause other problems though.

Edit: Neo beat me to the punch. Also, it appears that b and g are both in the 2.4Ghz range, so disregard the first sentence.

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Try changing the channel of the 802.11G/B or the channel of the phone.
    -Kevin

5. narco thread starter macrumors 65816

narco

Yeah, I'm only using Airport Express for Airtunes, so wireless internet is not a biggy. The phone I was looking at buying is 5.8ghz, so if I'm understanding the above comments correctly, then there should be no interference.

Oh, and I am using an Airport Extreme card on a G5.

Thanks for all your comments.

Fishes,
    narco.

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

First off try switching to a different channel. As I understand it not all but most 2.4GHz phone live in the higher channel area of WiFi. Also if you want less interference with your phone get a 900MHz Digital phone. The higher the frequency the shorter the range. Also the higher frequencies tend to be packed tighter with more devices and thus more likely to interfere with each other.

7. narco thread starter macrumors 65816

narco

I switched the channel on my AE to 11. Did a test and everything works perfectly.

Fishes,
    narco.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Good to hear.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm glad you found a solution, but I just wanted to share a *giggle* that when I first read this thread, I was like, "wow, that's a really cool *feature*...I wonder how they programmed that!" before I realized it was an interference issue. :eek:

10. narco thread starter macrumors 65816

narco

Haha, yeah, it actually isn't half bad. I work at home, so I had my music playing loud in my bedroom. All of a sudden the music stops and the phone rings, I probably wouldn't have heard it if the music hadn't stopped. It also saves me time from fumbling through windows to pause iTunes when my work calls.

Great for music, must be bad for people who use wireless internet access though.

Fishes,
    narco.