Airport Express Windows setup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joshwest, Apr 18, 2006.

1. joshwest macrumors 65816

Apr 27, 2005
    Hello my dad didnt listen to my well put advice about getting a Mac. So he confided in himself and bought a Windows Laptop but im having trouble setting it up on my Airport Express Network in the Home. I have 3 macs connected to it at all times, can anyone walk me through how to set it up on his PC.
  2. clykins90 macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
    Is it encrypted? If not, windows should automatically detect it and join the network. If it is, then a window should pop up saying it is and you need to enter the code. If it doesn't automatically detect it, go to the network settings in the control panel (start, control panel). You should see the wireless connection.
  3. joshwest thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 27, 2005
    thats the thing i dont see it. every wireless connection ive ever had i just joined the network it looks like i have to set this one up manually.
  4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    There are 3 primary security features that could be preventing this.

1. Having a closed or hidden network. If your network is closed then the name of the base station is not broadcast freely. See if that is checked on in the airport admin utility.

2. Having a MAC address filter. If the Windows computers MAC address is not on the list and you are using this feature you will need to add it.

3. Having a WEP or WPA password. You will of course need to know the password if you are using a password. Depending on the laptop it might not support WPA or WPA2 and if you're using either of these then the laptop won't connect.

If you have a problem computer usually what I do is remove all of these security features and turn them back on 1 by 1. I just enabled WPA2 this weekend and it took me a fair amount of time to get my Airport Express working but... it all works now... :)