Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Hi there, im trying to find away to extend the range of my wireless - to all areas of my house; and theres no way i can do this, other than to use some sort of units.

At the moment i've covered all the areas which i can with network cable and hardwired, wireless repeaters, but its just not far enough. (items like this: repeater)

Now im wondering if i can extend it any other way, i.e. a single unit that just repeats the signal without any use of network cables - with my existing hardware.

My router

My repeater

Would airport express do the job?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I've read that while it's super-super-super easy to use an Airport Express to extend the range of another Airport device (using the "WDS" feature of the Airport), it's not all that easy to get WDS working with other manufacturers access points.

I've seen posts here where wireless networks w/ Linksys routers have been extended by using WDS on an AE (after reflashing the Linksys router with another brand of firmware), but it didn't sound particularly easy or fun.

I could be totally wrong here, but just wanted to add my two cents before you made the purchase!

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
The Airport Express will work as a range extender with other Airport products, but the method of doing so is not an industry standard and so sometimes it will not work with other equipment from other manufacturers. I don't have an answer for your specific router other than to say you should try it or search the web for someone else that has that same model to ask them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.