Airport Express with Airtunes...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Switched, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Switched macrumors newbie

I would just like to clarify a couple of things before I go out and buy an airport express with airtunes...

I currently use an ethernet adsl modem (crappy D-Link DSL502T) and I want to be able to use my macbook to use the internet wirelessly around the house.

If I plug the ethernet cable from the modem directly into an airport express will I instantly create a wireless network?

If I plug an external HD into the USB port of the airport express, will I be able to access it from my macbook wirelessly?

Thanks. (I know these questions have probably been covered numerous times before)

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

GUESS I HAD THE FOLLOWING WRONG

No you can't create a wireless network using the Airport Express with Airtunes as it has no router.

The USB port in it only supports printers, not HDs.

You should be able to connect to the Airport wirelessly from your MB and play music through it however.

3. -am macrumors newbie

the airport express will let you create a wireless network, supports up to 10 DHCP clients. you can also use the express as a ethernet bridge while WDS'd with a second express or extreme.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Of course you can use it as a router. That's what it's designed to do. I'm not sure it will be "instant," but it's pretty easy to configure. You can't use it to plug a hard drive in directly. You need airport extreme for that.

5. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Just to say this again, but this is wrong.

I use two Airport Expresses as a wireless network in my house and to share printers. One is connected to the cable modem, the other is connected to the network via WDS and the USB port has a printer plugged into it.

The USB port does not support a HD. You would need the new Airport Extreme Base Station for that.

It does not instantly create a wireless network, but the Airport Setup Assistant makes configuration a breeze.

6. Switched thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

When I said 'instantly' I meant as soon as I connect it to the modem and configure it, not needing to also buy a seperate router. After reading the apple site many times it was still unclear to me whether it worked as a router or only extended an existing wireless network.

As for the HD, that's no probem really, just wanted to know if it could be done.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

1. Completely wrong. That's kinda what it's designed to do.

2. True.

3. Yep, that's pretty much the definition of the whole Airtunes thing.

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Umm ADSL...doesn't that connect to your PC by USB rather than ethernet?

I'm in the dark with ADSL, if someone could clarify that for me?

9. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

depends on the ADSL modem, mine has no USB, it's ethernet, it needs a host to do the accounting (like a router or a PC)

James