Airport Express with iTunes as a wifi bridge?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by skp574, Jan 19, 2005.

1. skp574 macrumors 6502

Can the Apple Airport Express with iTunes be used as a wireless bridge? The tech spec on Apple's site is not clear.

Reason for asking is I have a wireless Squeezebox which only has 802.11b :( . Can I use the ethernet port on the APE to connect to the Squeezebox? Then link the APE back to my wifi router (wirelessly)

I have a 3com OfficeConnect wireless router which is currently serving mainly 11g clients. I don't really want to have a mixture of b and g speeds as for some reason when my ip camera is streaming is causes the router to slow to a crawl then eventually it needs a power cycle.

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Don't see why not - I use mine to connect my playstation to my network....

3. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

yes. sounds like it should work fine. just be sure to disable the .b on your squeezebox.

4. skp574 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can seem to use Aiport Express as wifi bridge

Hi again,

I picked up my Airport Express and have been having trouble trying to set it up.

Here's how I want to connect it to my existing network:

Use my existing 3com Office connect wireless adsl router and connect my airport express to it wirelessly.

I then want to use the ethernet port on the airport to connect to my Squeezebox. Then I can connect the Squeezebox at 11.g speed and not b speed.

When I go through the Airport admin utility, the setting I think I need is the extend an existing wireless network. But I thought that is only compatibile with an Airport Extreme.

Has anyone used the airport express with a non apple router to extend their network?

Should I be setting all of the wifi settings to match my 3com router (SSID, WEP, etc) and then it should work.

All the connection scenarios in the manual don't seem to apply to my network (unless I have an Airport Extreme that is).

5. Draft macrumors 6502

I think you want to just have the Airport Express connect to the existing network. You cannot repeat the signal wirelessly without Apple's WDS.

I'm looking to do about the same thing. I have a Netgear WRG614 router. I want to put 2 TiVos on a switch attached to the network port on an Airport Express. Is it possible to bridge the network from the wireless on the Netgear to the physical connection on the Airport Express?

Thanks,