Airport Express with networked fileserver

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by david b, Mar 20, 2005.

1. david b macrumors newbie

Hi,

Just got myself a mini, which I'm really impressed by :D The mini has relegated my previous PC (running Slackware) to being my fileserver. I'm thinking about getting an Airport Express, but I've got a question I haven't quite been able to find the answer for.

My current network is a wired one, running off a 4-port ADSL router (combined modem/hub). I've got this working fine - the mini sees my slack box, and iTunes is happily using an NFS share as its source of mp3's. However, what I'd like to do is move the PC away from the mini (it's noisy). I'd also like to be able to stream iTunes to my hi-fi. What I'd like to do is set it all up as follows:

Slack Box <----> Router <----> Airport Express <----> HiFi

[Macmini with Airport Extreme]--------^

This is meant to show it's all wired, apart from the wireless mini -> Airport Express connection, in case it's not very clear ;)

Will this work? Firstly, I'm presuming that I'll still be able to access the NFS share on the PC?

Secondly, I get the feeling that I might have problems with iTunes needing to use the AE to access the NFS share, and then use the wireless connection to also broadcast to the speakers. If it won't work, is there any other way of doing it? I'd prefer not to have to buy a wireless card for the Slackware box (and go through the effort of getting it working under linux...).

2. david b thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone? I'd really like to get a move on and purchase the Express tonight if it'll work, so any guidance would be appreciated :)

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

The only problem i see is that u will be using the wifi to get the tunes to the mini and then back to the AEbox. This might result in some frames being dropped.
    I have no personal experience with this, i do vote yes on possibility.

good luck

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I would think that itunes would load the entire song in memory, before streaming to the airport express. the nfs server doesn't "stream" the file it just sends the file over then the specific application can use it. the airport express actually streams the music at i believe 128~192 kbs. i don't think you would drop frames.

5. david b thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, sounds promising, thanks guys :) I've just ordered one, so I'll see how it goes :D