Airport Express+WRT54G

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sik, Nov 15, 2005.

1. sik macrumors newbie

Has anyone successfully hacked their Linksys WRT54G (Vonage edition) using 3rd party software (Sveasoft Satori v4.0 WRT54G) to work with the Airport Express so that the network can be expanded? And did you have any degradation in call quality?

I'm afraid to flash the router with a 3rd party firmware for fear of what it may do to any VoIP technology on the router. I have DSL and it's bad enough trying to surf the web and use the phone at the same time.

Thanks for looking and hi everyone! :)

2. sik thread starter macrumors newbie

3. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Where do you get the hacked firmware from? I'd quite like to try this.. Thanks. :)

4. sik thread starter macrumors newbie

You need to register at http://www.linksysinfo.org and maneuver over to the downloads section. Pick your router and then it's self-explanatory from there. Be sure to google instructions on how to install the firmware. From what I understand the instructions can be somewhat limited when installing so do this at your own risk. You can render your router inoperable by attempting this download incorrectly!

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

http://www.sveasoft.com/

6. belvdr macrumors 601

Wait a second. You're running VoIP on DSL? Don't you need a phone line for DSL? I know some phone companies require a land line that is active for DSL service.

7. sik thread starter macrumors newbie

I am but the cost of VoIP is much cheaper than traditional landline service especially since I make a ton of international calls.

8. belvdr macrumors 601

Ahh got it. Is it cheaper than business class cell service? I ask out of curiosity, since I've never been in a position to require this type of service yet.

9. g0gie macrumors regular

you can make it work. You ahve to set your router to wds as well as a few other things such as chanigng the channel . I heard that WPA will not work if you do this. THere are a couple guuides out there, jus google it. Arstechnica also has a guide on this