airport express

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by glosterseagul, Dec 29, 2004.

1. glosterseagul macrumors regular

I installed my airport express by adding to my existing airport base station 5 mins!

Then came christmas and I unplugged my airport express to take a friends house so I could play my itunes through his hi-fi - not only could I not set it up as a stand alone itunes receiver I now cant get back to my airport network....

The orange light is flashing...

2. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

...ok I have reset it. (express)

now what...is there a "control panel" in os x?

3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

You should be able to access the settings through the Airport Admin Utility in Applications/Utilities

4. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

I have been into Airport Admin Utility - but I can't see Airport Express. . . .

5. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

You and the Express need to be on the same network in order for you to see it in the utility, if your having trouble getting it via wireless try plugging in an Ethernet cable between you computer and the Express base Station, you should be able to see it then

Any problems come back

6. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Plugged in......see it where! aargh.....

It was so easy when I first got it. I read some horror stories on here; but I just plugged it in and it just worked.

Surely I must be able to move the express and set up a stand alone iTunes only player then reconnect to the base station.
    :confused:

7. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

You should have an AirPort Express Assistant in your Applications > Utilities folder - try running that, rather than the AirPort Admin Utility.

8. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

9. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

There should be an Airport Setup Assistant in the Utilities folder

That should work with both types of Base Station

Might be wrong, give that a try

10. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

After a factory reset I was able to see and set it up. Airport set up assistant. Then after a while it drops off and Express starts to flash. go back to set up assistant it shows up then I get this!

"This application was unable to communicate with this base station" :eek:

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Are you using WDS? IF you are, try unplugging the main base station then plugging it back in. I was having all sorts of trouble with my AirPort Express until I did this. Once I did that, it started working normally.

12. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Turned it off, factory reset express 3 times, restarted the PowerBook 3 times, ....

in iTunes it sees the network "tv" when I try and connect it says "Connecting to TV.." then drops out and ..... 0 (nothing!)

I am becoming a little frustrated at this juncture! :mad:[​IMG]

13. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

OK, silly question - is the AirPort card in your PB turned on?

If it is do you show AirPort status in your menu bar? Does it display a good signal? i.e. some of the bars are black, not grey?

14. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

No silly questions here - please keep asking.

Yes - I am on the internet using main base station. Also see my nice little screen shot, signal shown ....

15. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

just thought was it wise to show all my settings on the internet? ie 00:11:24:07 etc :rolleyes:

16. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

How did I miss that screenshot before?????? Oh, just saw that you edited - did you just add it in?

Anyway - since it says "This application was unable to communicate with this base station" maybe you do need to run the AirPort Express Assistant. Any luck finding that CD?

17. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Just scrubbed the numbers....did it matter I wonder...

In airport set up assistant It sees the Airport Express I have called it lounge, then another name finally I called it "tv" ITunes sees the network and says it is connecting to "tv" then gives up! Like me soon.

:D

This is not a waste of a day it is a learning experience! :rolleyes:

edit: gave up looking for cd as I came to the conclusion that airport setup is doing the same job.

I am going to try and disconnect the base station and try and set it up alone. This is where I came in! I just wanted to set up airport express as an itunes player only. I read somewhere that you could have different profiles for different locations...well here goes. I will be signing off the internet in a few minutes....

18. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

That's the spirit .... ;)

BTW - I noticed that thanks to this thread you and I have now graduated from Members to Regulars

<puts on party hat, pulls string on party popper, offers glosterseagul a glass of Champers...>

19. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

< takes a sip of the party popper and gets a shower of champers - with slightly burnt lips thanks Memphis, as it is the thought that counts>
    :eek:

I now have two networks - I can listen to music or go on the internet...err but not both. Setting up different profiles is for another day....

All advice gratefully received!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)

20. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Ive fixed the leaky radiator. So came onto this site, first I had to turn off my iTunes through the stereo to log onto my basestation....

Now there must be a capability of having a iTunes only setting and a express basestation network....anybody? :confused:

21. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Just thought I would update Y'all.

Found this http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=162854

Bearing in mind i had two settings one to connect to internet thro basestation -called "AirportHome" and another called lounge connecting to iTunes...

I followed the instructions added another profile in the "lounge". ie I named one "express" and the other "express+basestation" on the express + base station I added it to "Airport Home". Great now back to square one! No itunes, "Lounge" has disapeared I have the internet but no iTunes and I now give in! until another day...pleasew help! I'm sure it's something really silly and basic...yes that describes the way I feel at the mo :confused:

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You sound as if you're going slowly mad but I think I'm a little confused.

You want to be able to go online and listen to AirTunes at the same time? And you could do this before you took your Express to a friend's house over Christmas? Why do you want to have the Express as a stand-alone in your house?

The Express does support 5 profiles but you need to set it up to do so in the Airport Admin Utility. Select the Express and then choose Profiles, you'll see your current Express profile and you can create a new one or delete it. You can then set up the profile to use as you want. So your home profile might be as a client to the your existing Base Station whereas a music one might be as a standalone network. You choose which profile you want to use from the Admin Utility. It sounds like you got that figured out - although I'd suggest getting it working where it's working with Internet/iTunes before creating lots more profiles.

When you reset the system last, did you set up the Express as a new base station or to connect to an existing network (with WDS or without?) Did you tell it you wanted to use it to connect to speakers etc?

It seems like it worked for a while and then started flashing amber. Did you try just unplugging and replugging in again? Mine's done that occasionally. Is your main Airport base limited to certain MAC addresses? Have you added the Express's MAC address to it?

23. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

...and me! :D

Correct. I want it to work as before and I want to have Express as a stand alone so that I can unplug it and listen to AirTunes off site. (ie not at home)

Yes. I thought I had figured that out; but now I cant see Express. I had set up two "airports" the main one and Express with airtunes.

Basestation with WDS. Although it did not stop flashing even though I was listening to airtunes. I added a profle and then as I said I tried to add express to the main basestation. Then it disappeared and I now have the same situation as before (ie as the screen shot above)

err you lost me a bit on that.

[​IMG][/IMG]

24. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Applespider is referring to the Access Control tab. Do you have any restrictions on AirPort IDs (which are the same as MAC addresses) defined there?

Oh, one other thing - you've got an extra set of IMG tags there.

25. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular