airport express

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by clykins90, Apr 6, 2005.

1. clykins90 macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm thinking about getting another airport express to extend my airport express network. The Express I have right now is in my basement, I have all my computers on the first floor (don't ask how the DSL modem ended up in the basement). If I put an airport express in between the computers and the router and set the express the repeater mode, will I lose thoroughput? If so, is it significant? Would it just be better to move the express I have now closer to my computers?

Note: If I move the express I have right now, I would need to call my DSL provider and pay a technician to come over and move the DSL line closer to my computers.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I'm pretty sure throughput halves for each additional WDS extender. On that note though, I've got a pretty similar situation and I've noticed that a carefully set up network is still faster because I was getting pretty poor reception (read: slow too) with one but now that I've got great reception for the WDS AE, it's quite a bit faster. Nevertheless, I'm still almost certain that it's half as fast as if I was by the original AE. :(
  3. clykins90 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
    Half as fast???? Wow. I guess I'll just move the original upstairs then.