Airport Express

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JzzTrump22, May 28, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

My current internet setup is 4 computers connected to my 4 port Linsys router. I am planning on putting an Airport Express station on my ethernet wire so i can use my machine wirelessly. My question is, can i get something so i can hook my xbox up wirelessly also so i don't have to take the wire out of the AE to play xbox everytime?

2. hanxu macrumors newbie

3. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

plz explain, i'm interested in this too, i use my airport express with my xbox just to get live, but i'd love to be able to move it and use it for airtunes on my sterio with xbox using the wireless network

4. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you think you can elaborate a little more?

5. Nutter macrumors 6502

Wireless bridge

A wireless bridge is a device that connects an existing wireless network to an Ethernet network.

Many wireless access points and some wireless base stations (including Apple's) have a bridging feature that lets you use them as a wireless bridge. Alternatively, buy a specially designed wireless bridge such as this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...07611-7485503?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282

Since you only want to connect a single Ethernet device to your wireless network, you can connect your bridge directly to your Xbox using a crossover Ethernet cable:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._7/104-3207611-7485503?v=glance&s=electronics

Of course, you could just buy an Ethernet switch and connect it to your router:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...07611-7485503?v=glance&s=electronics&n=281407

An explanation of wireless bridges and other networking devices can be found on this page from a random (*cough* *cough*) manual:
    http://www.bensoftware.com/ss/installationmanual/networkhardware.html

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Why not just get the XBox wireless adapter? I found it at amazon.com for $60.

7. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm still a little confused because some of those links are for bridging a wireless network to a wired one. Basically what my network looks like is this... (please excuse the crude model)

Cable Modem--->4 port Linsys wired router---->4 different computers (one of them is mine). I basically want to take the ethernet wire out of my computer and put it into the Airport Express so i can use my computer and xbox live wirelessly. I'm thinking the easiest was to do this is to just buy the xbox wireless adapter, is this true? I don't see how i can use a bridge because i'm already going to have the ethernet wire in the AE, and it's not like the AE is working off of a base station, it's working off a hard wired router. I hope this clears some thing up.

Also, if i had to go through all these different connections, wouldn't it cause lag or delay?

8. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

How do you connect your xbox wirelessly?

9. cemorris macrumors regular

I have the same setup as you describe. Basically the AE is the bridge. If you switch off the DHCP in the AE, it becomes a bridge to your linksys router. Your linksys router will suply the DHCP address to both wired and wireless devices including your XBOX.

10. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok. I was working this all out in my head i figure it's easier just to get a wireless router like a Linsys or something, then get the AE and use it as a bridge and just plug a wire fromthe AE to my xbox. It just seems a lot simpler and a little cheaper instead of going the other way, plus i'm almost positive i would get lag gowing through all those different connections.

11. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

fyi xbox wireless adaptor is the same thing as a ethernet to wireless bridge. i think the only difference is they support console to console direct connect wirelessley. also airport express is a sort of a ethernet to wireless bridge also. you have think functionality wise.

Using the AE connect it to your router (basestation) or cable/dsl modem. If you are connecting directly to your cable modem/dsl modem some isp require you register your routers (your AE) otherwise they will kick you off (just call them and ask if you have question). you will be probably have to uninstall any software you have installed to connect the internet on your computer if it was directly connected to your cable/dsl modem.

after connecting that and support up your wireless network with your computer. setup ethernet to wireless bridge or xbox game adaptor on your xbox. that will allow you xbox to connect to your AE.

there would be lag and delay created, but you won't notice it.