Airport express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Smitty, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Smitty macrumors newbie

Hi i am new here I was just wondering if it is possible to add and Airport express to my current network my other router is a netgear not sure what model though

thanks
    smitty

2. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

Ya, that should not be a problem. Is your Netgear already providing wireless access?? What do you plan on using the AE for?? If the netgear is a "wired" router, and you are going to add wireless access, just plug the AE in, and configure it.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Note particularly that the Airport Express only works as a range extender with WDS enabled WAPs, like the Airport Extreme. Most third party WAPs don't have this enabled/available from the factory, though you can sometimes hack the firmware to enable support as with the Linksys WRT54g and numerous non-Linksys firmwares. e.g. http://www.openwrt.org

If you just want it for AirTunes, it works fine. I've used mine with a Westell WAP for a while now.

B

4. Smitty thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for replying so fast. I want to use AE for airtunes this wouldnt be a problem would it?

thanks smitty

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Hasn't been for me.

B

6. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

if you just want it for airtunes, you don't even need to connect it to your current network. it can stand alone and be configured as an independent entity.