airport express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mr_Brightside_@, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

hi everyone i just easily (!) convinced my mom to buy an airport express; she liked the idea of wireless music. it will bridge any network, not just an airport one, right? i have a d-link router. thankx

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It will attach itself to any 802.11B/G network however it will only extend the range of an AirPort network. :)

3. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

awwww. (he sighs deeply after also learning that he will not recieve his free ipod mini...)

4. scollie41 macrumors newbie

Ok, this is an answer to a question I was about to post, but what is the difference in attaching itself and extending the network?

I want to hook my usb HP printer and a set of speakers in my office to the network that is provided by a Netgear router...will this work?

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

*cough cough* or buffalo equipment...

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, if it merely attaches itself to an existing network it doesn't use its own broadcasting power to extend the range (distance from original router that still receive signal) of that network. It will be on the network (you'll be able to access it) but the range will stay the same.

Assuming your printer is compatible with the Express this should work well and be relatively easy to set up. :)

I've heard pretty mixed reports about this as to whether it works at all. Does it work out of the box or does it need a hack?

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

the airport express runs a broadcom technology like a lot of apple wireless products do. I believe some of the older airports base stations and cards are buffalo. The people chips they use is broadcom which is what the airport express uses. BTW broadcom sells chips to buffalo, apple, motorola, belkin and linksys. Anyway it stands to reason that buffalo technology would work with an airport express because I imagine the routers that buffalo has out uses the same WDS standard since there is no universal standard for logically all broadcom firmware would probably worked together with WDS.

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/why...icially-extend-nonairport-networks-015834.php

but yeah it works...

8. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

I have the linksys WRT54G and the Airport Express extends the range without any additional firmware.