Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by forrest1992, Feb 27, 2006.

1. forrest1992 macrumors member

forrest1992

I was wondering, when you plug in Airport Express, do you plug an ethernet cord from the Express base station into your Mac, or does it just create a network by plugging it in? Do you need to then plug it into a Airport Extreme base station? I dont get it!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There are a few ways to use the AirPort Express, and you can use more than one at a time.

If you already have a wireless base station (AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express, Linksys, Netgear, etc.), then typically you simply plug the AirPort Express into the wall and extend your wireless coverage. You can also plug an ethernet cable into it and then plug a device (Mac, Xbox, etc.) into the other side and use the AE as sort of an external wireless card.

Most commonly, people will buy an AirPort Express, plug it into their router or modem, then use the AirPort card in their Macs (and/or wireless cards in their PCs) to connect wirelessly.

So, in that most common case, you'd have a router or modem, then an ethernet cable to the port on the AirPort Express. After it was connected, other wireless devices would pick up the signal.

You can also plug a printer into the USB port on it, and/or a stereo into the audio port.

Think of the AE's like cordless phones - the kind with one base station and numerous satellites. At least one AirPort Express or other wireless router needs to be plugged into a router or modem somewhere. That one sends out the signal, as it were, and numerous other AirPort Expresses and/or AirPort cards inside Macs and/or wireless cards inside PCs can receive and/or rebroadcast the signal.

If the AirPort Express is receiving the signal from another wireless router - one that's plugged into the broadband source (router/modem), then the ethernet port on that first AirPort Express - the one not plugged in - can be used to provide wireless access to any device with a ethernet port but without wireless capabilities.

3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

to get access to the outside world (ie the internet etc) from any computer using the airport base station, the base station needs to be connected to the outside world, via a modem or another (wireless) router that is. For computers to talk to each other via the base station, they need to have an airport (or other wireless card) installed, so that they can talk to the base station (wirelessly). I believe the base station also has an ethernet port that you can plug a computer into directly for a wired connection.

What is your setup? - how many computers, modems, routers etc of what kind, do you have, and what do you want to do with them?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

True. The AirPort Extreme base station has two ethernet ports - one to plug it into the original modem or router, and one into which other devices or routers/switches can be plugged.

The AirPort Express has only one ethernet port - either it serves as a base station, or as a wireless endpoint, but not both.

5. forrest1992 thread starter macrumors member

forrest1992

I dont have the wireless systems yet, but when I go in to buy an iBook and a wireless system, Im trying to decide on wether to get Express or Extreme.

Thanks everyone, I have decided on Express, for the portablilty and so I can link my surrond sound wirelessly:)

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

There would be no point connecting another router to the second ethernet port. switch, hubs or computers.

7. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

OK, so I'm just as in dark as the topic poster.... but let me tell you what we have, and what I want, and hopefully one of you clever folks can help!

I have:

A wireless (54g) ADSL router (a netgear one) with 4 100Mbps ports also. I have one MacMini wired to that (used as a server for stuff), 2 PC's with misc. wireless cards that connect to the net wirelessly through the router, another Mini which connects wirelessly to the router, and one PC connected via a cable to the router.

That's what I have... What do I want...

Too connect the stereo in the bedroom, and the one in the gym to an "AirTunes" network so that I can push iTunes music from one of my machines to the gym or bedroom (or both??)...

What do I need? A couple of Airport Expresses, one for each room? Or have I completely failed to understand the concept....

Bug

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yes all you would need is a couple of Expresses. However you can't have the expresses extend your network unless its all Airports. So they could only join the network. I think you can run 3 output devices at one time. (per network) So one computer can put music to 2 Airports and its own speakers or 2 Airports. Correct me if I am wrong.

9. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

Yeah that would be fine, my network covers the whole house (if I've understood you correctly you are saying that the express's won't add as "wireless extenders" just as "play stuff on me" devices).

Sounds super!

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yes that is correct.
    For my since I have a airport Extreme base station and express I use the express to extend the network,(lots of interference 5 other networks) But your can only extend the network when the whole network is airport.

11. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

So than i have some questions than?
    If i purchase a airport express:

at school i have a ethernet cord comming out of the wall which i plug into my pb to get intenrnet, so if i plug the ethenert cord into the airport express, i wil have wireless right?

and 2. what kind of speakers can i get so that if i plug the speakers into the airport express, it would be wireless? can this be done?

and 3. if i have a printer plugged into the airport express, will it work? Basiclaly i am trying to make sure the only cords i have attached to my powerbook are the power ones.. get it?

thanks guys..

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

1) In theory, I don't know how advanced the NAT in the airport is. In some good NAT/firewall systems it will not let a local address send it info. As that can cause rule problems. But it might. If not you can just disable NAT, and it will work.
    2) Any kind of speakers than can connect to them, you can even get a converter to go to optical.(digital)
    3) Most printers should. I have not run into one that does not. If it works with your laptop without extra drivers it should work fine. What model is it?

13. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I have an Airport Express and am at college. I have yet to be able to get wireless internet in my room. I haven't called Apple yet but have not had any luck. It is very annoying but I am guessing it will not work.

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

15. swimlikehell macrumors member

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I stumbled across it and was wondering if some one had some suggestions. I am trying to use an air port express as a wireless card for my computer. I saw some one said this is possible here, but I was wondering if anyone knew what settings I need to set on my express for this to happen. I have an extreme with an express in my office where my printer is connected to, and would love to be able to just plug my computer into my express and have Internet. Thanks for any help given thanks.

16. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Set it up to "join a wireless network" also disable NAT and DHCP.

17. TrojanX macrumors member

TrojanX

Forgive my ignorance but, how do you set up the Airport extreme. By set up I mean SSID (such as Home1) and a WEP Password??

18. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Using the airport admin utility.