Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by albertfreestyle, Apr 16, 2006.

1. albertfreestyle macrumors member

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's all you need. iTunes on either the Windows machine or the Mac will then be able to stream music through the Express into your stereo. I have two of these (they're the basis of my wireless network) and have had no issues with them at all. :)

Does the point where you want to put the Express get good reception from your wireless network?

3. lanray macrumors regular

It's really pretty simple. I have one here at home, and it's seamless - not a bit of trouble. Printing is easy, as well. Oh, and with Airfoil you can run DVDs etc. through your speakers. Cool!

4. albertfreestyle thread starter macrumors member

what is airfoil? software built into the air express?

anyways, thanks alot guys, that settles it, im gonna pick one up. sounds sweet. And it has the ability to print wireless? but the printer has to be plugged into airport express - right????

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

AirFoil is a third party application that will let you stream sounds from other apps through your Express. Before you ask, it's not brilliant for movies because of the time delay between the sound and the picture. :(

Wireless printing works with most name-brand printers. It merely involves plugging the printer into the Express. :)

6. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

airfoil is not built into the airport but i believe it is free.

I love my airport express. I had printing problems through Safari though.

Question: Is there a way to have the same audio broadcasted onto two or more AP Express?
    Thanks all.

EDIT: Answer: Airfoil. I have no experience with the app, btw.

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The printer has to be plugged into the USB port on the Airport Airtunes to print wirelessly..

Airfoil is a 3rd party app.

8. Harry322 macrumors member

I am also about to purchase an Airport Express, but I have a question. Should I wait for the rumored upgrade with wireless Video streaming? I use Final Cut Pro and I am very excited about the possibility of using my home theater as a wireless screening room...

Should I wait?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, the video streaming AirPort is merely a rumour at the moment and nobody know when exactly it'll come out. Nothing very reliable has been found yet.

Plus, the throughput of 802.11G networks isn't fantastic for videos so even if the new AirPort uses a faster standard (new 802.11N or something), your card in the Mac will still be limited to 802.11G's theoretical 54Mbps.

I guess if you don't really need it, then sure wait a while. However, there's always the current Express plus AirFoil. :)