Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
I download a lot of music (using bit torrent, and flac files), and I was wondering if there is any noticeable difference between using the airport express and being directly connected. Does anyone download just using wireless.

Apple2Mac

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Do you mean sound quality of listining to music wirelessly with the airport express? If so then it sounds the same wired or unwired as long as you get a good siginal...

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Sorry. No, I mean when I want to download music from the internet, will it transfer at a similar rate using the airport express, as it would if my computer was directly connected to the cable modem. I know the airport express has a 54mbps rate, and am wondering if the computer is directly connected, will info transfer at a greater rate than 54mbps. Sorry for the confusion.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
saga said:
I know the airport express has a 54mbps rate, and am wondering if the computer is directly connected, will info transfer at a greater rate than 54mbps. Sorry for the confusion.

if it does, then i want to sign up with your cable provider!

i have a 10MBps DL rate with my cable co... my macbook in the living room wirelessly gets an average of 9.5 to 10...

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Interference from cordless landline phones and microwaves can cause signals to cut out, but other than that, you probably won't notice a significant drop in speed by using the airport express instead of a direct hookup.

No consumer internet connection will go as fast as 54Mbps - that's the g maximum transfer rate for files shared between wireless g computers. Your cable internet should go no higher than 1 megabyte per second on average.

It's sad that some stores encourage users to buy 'super' g or 'MIMO' at 108 Mbps, making these people think their webpages will load faster. These speed quotes are only good for file transfer times over a network.

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
thewhitehart said:
Interference from cordless landline phones and microwaves can cause signals to cut out, but other than that, you probably won't notice a significant drop in speed by using the airport express instead of a direct hookup.

No consumer internet connection will go as fast as 54Mbps - that's the g maximum transfer rate for files shared between wireless g computers. Your cable internet should go no higher than 1 megabyte per second on average.

It's sad that some stores encourage users to buy 'super' g or 'MIMO' at 108 Mbps, making these people think their webpages will load faster. These speed quotes are only good for file transfer times over a network.

Thanks for the help. I actually hooked up the airport express last night, and went ahead for a test run, and I downloaded just fine. I didn't notice any lag in time in comparison to being directly connected to the modem.

sworthy

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2002
There can be a noticeable difference - but usually speeds are very close as long as you're relatively close to the base station.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.