Airport Express

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kerpow, Dec 14, 2006.

1. kerpow macrumors 6502

Airport Express.

Am I missing something, I can't find it on Apple UK Store.

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...ortwireless&wosid=zq1EEiarFVOR2Z4vGAl13PRL9Ve

Anyway, I have a question about it and AE iTunes.

I gave my parents an old Belkin wifi ADSL router of my own but they're not getting a strong signal. Are AEs any better for range and strength of signal than the general Dlink, Netgear stuff?

Also, I was under the impression you still need a device to act as a router between the AE and the phone line. They're not ADSL modems. Is this right?

Basically, can you recommened a good wifi router that connects to an RJ-11 phone line, has a couple of ethernet ports, strong wifi signal and easy to setup.

Thanks.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

The device you need between the AE and the phone line is a modem. Then plug the modem into the AE and you're good to go. The AE is the router.

The AE in my house puts out about the same signal strength as my old Linksys. The AE may be a little more powerful, but not significantly.

Have you run NetStumbler (free download) to see if your parents AP channel isn't competing with any neighbors? On my street, 90% of the access points all try to use channel 6 which leads to a lot of noise.

3. kerpow thread starter macrumors 6502

4. kerpow thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I'll look into that.

It seems that the AE is made for the US market where most internet connections come with a router. In the UK ADSL typically comes with a cruddy little USB modem which is useless if you want to share the connection or use wireless. I'm not sure I see the value in shelling out £90 for an AE plus a further £30 for a modem when a £50 ADSL router with wireless does the lot.

Infact the one I gave them should be fine, just needs a different channel.

Thanks anyway

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

There are a few differences between the bigger one (Airport Extreme) and the smaller one (Airport Express).

The bigger one can't stream music.
    The bigger one has a LAN jack, so you can plug non-wireless devices into it, like a VoiP box, or an older computer.
    The bigger one can handle more people using it at the same time. The small one is supposed to handle only around 10 at a time.

FWIW, we're buying my mother-in-law the smaller one to go with her new MacBook for Christmas. In an all-wireless house, I can't think of many reasons to go with the bigger one.

Hopefully it's just the channel that is the issue. Sounds a lot cheaper for you if that's the case. ;)

6. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

Comparing range is a difficult occupation. I read an article recently (can't remember the source) but it descriped exactly what everybody could (and maybe should) know about wifi signals.

A wifi signal bounces. It does not (hardly) penetrate concrete, rock, brick. It's pretty lousy at penetrating wood (doors) but it good at traveling threw air, and glass... So you can't compare anythign to anything... except, don't place it in an confined area....

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The AirPort Extreme, which is what you're referring to, is no longer sold in Europe.