Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I ordered an airport express with my powerbook. I'm going to be taking it to college. Now that wifi is becoming popular in laptops windoze or mac, anyone can just sign on into any network. If i want to use my airport express in my dorm, can i set it up so that only my powerbook could use it, and block out others. Can i set it up so it can't be regonzied by other computers? because i don't want someone to go on using my connection....

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
You may have difficulty setting up your AirPort Express in dormitories if you are using school network (which is most likely). I don't know the exact details since I have never ran into this issue, but if someone else knows the issue with the IP address and networking issues in detail, be sure to explain that to this user.

G-Prime

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think you can make it so no one see's your wifi network, but you should be able to password protect it. Let us know how well it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.