Airport Exteme and PC's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by -i2i-, Sep 4, 2004.

1. -i2i- macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm new to this forum and macs but I bought a G4 12" iBook the other day and am loving it. I bought an airport extreme with it, and wanted to know if and how I can hook it up to a PC to share a DSL connection, files and a Printer. I'm not sure if any or even all of these are possible, but I'm sure I must be able to hook it up to share an internet connection. Do I need a rotuer or just a acces point? Whats the difference? Do you recommend one?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks :)

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I would suggest a router. Or if you don't need internet on the PC but when you aren't using the iBook, you can just have the iBook share its wireless connection with the PC via ethernet.

3. -i2i- thread starter macrumors newbie

Isn't ethernet wired though? I should have also said that my PC has the printer and internet connection on it, thanks,

4. -i2i- thread starter macrumors newbie

5. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

We have our PC (Windows XP) plugged into the wired port on our Airport Extreme base station. Works just fine - Apple even has an Airport Admin utility available that runs on Windows.

Our two Mac laptops have no problem using it of course.

I haven't had much of a problem with Windows wireless clients either, although they weren't mine so I "dumbed down" the AE to use WEP rather than try to get their computers set up to do WPA - but I'm sure it would work fine.