Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Hey there
I'm considering getting the new APX, as our old D-Link DI-624 needs resetting about once a day, and doesn't provide great signal for my CD MacBook. I know I can't get N in it, but it's being passed on to my brother in a few motnhs, and I'll get a MacBook Pro.

The reason I don't get a good signal, is not because the router is that bad, but because I'm so far away. Will I get a better signal using G on my MB from the APX, as it is a newer and more advanced router, or will it be same (rappy reception until I get N in my MBP?

The following devices will be connected to the APX:
1 GHz Celeron Windows ME Boz over Ethernet (Mom)
Windows XP desktop over wireless G (Dad)
Xbox 360 over wireless G (Brother)
MacBook over wireless G (Me)
Soon: MBP over wireless N (Me:D ) and several new N macs for parents.

We don't plan on sharing a printer, but this week there was a great offer on a Lacie F.A. Porsche 320 GB USB drive for 900 kr. ($150, but remember that DK has 25% VAT). This would be connected to the APX, and shared by the computers.

I was originally going to get the FireWire version of the drive to connect directly to my Mac, for me only, but the best deal I can get on that in DK is the 250 GB version for 1.100 kr. ($190). Either way I would use the Lacie drive for storing our Drive-in movies and a lot of other stuff. I know FW is faster than USB, and that the USB will be even slower from transferring over wireless net, but is it fast enough for streaming movies and stuff (view the Drive-in link)?

Basically that's my only concern. I would much rather have the fast FW drive, but if I can get it wireless, cheaper and with more capacity only slower, I would do it, as long as it is fast enough.;)

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
As far as I know, your wireless reception when not on 'N' will be the same (i.e., 'g' levels, not doubled), but the Extreme might - or might not - have better signal strength than your current router when on 'g'.

As far as your other question: USB2.0 is perfectly fine for streaming video/movies. I watch movies using 'g' from a USB drive hooked up to my other Mac, and all is well.

I just got an Extreme and will be hooking it up today. During limited trials last night, my (n'-less) MBP got better signal strength than from the AirPort Express next to the Extreme, but I sort of expected that. The Express isn't a powerhouse.

7ttman

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
Lacie and wireless

I'm using two of the 25gb drives you've identified as a good deal.

I went for USB because it meant that I could use them on PC's and MAC's, plus I have a Linksys NSLU2 which I use as a file server, media streamer (wizd) and itunes server (MTAAPD).

Speedwise... external drives always appear slow incomparison to internal drives, but I can't say that I've seen much difference between firewire 400 and USB2 (@480)... depends entirely what you plan to do.

Streaming movie files from my slug is fine, but there again, it's single user. Attempts to do two things simultaneously off the same drive WILL feel really slow, but, I guess t will with firewire.

Best advice, is to buy a decent quality wireless AP/router. That will always be the bottleneck in your network, so think about and workout where your data packets are going and optimise their route to minimise any data packets becoming discarded when the going gets tough!

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Movies are the most intensive things we'll be using, my dad and me may also use it to quickly share Quark projects, but they're no more than 50 MB, so no problem.

I know this drive is pre formatted as FAT32, but I read in other threads that a few people had trouble with that. Of course I'd like to use HFS+ for optimal Macintosh performance:D , but will the PeeCee's be able to use the drive then, or is NTFS better (I don't think Macs can write to that though?) Please advise:)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I know this drive is pre formatted as FAT32, but I read in other threads that a few people had trouble with that. Of course I'd like to use HFS+ for optimal Macintosh performance:D , but will the PeeCee's be able to use the drive then, or is NTFS better (I don't think Macs can write to that though?) Please advise:)
If it's attached to an AirPort Extreme and running via USB 2.0, I don't think the formatting will make much difference. I'd go with the most compatible format. And FAT32 will be fine.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Thanks alot for all of your help, now I only have one last obivous question.

Time Machine with my upcoming MBP. Would it be possible to partition the network drive and use it as TM backup drive?

Also, one ultimately last question. Booting off the drive in Windows Vista? Possible? I know Mac OS X supports network booting, but I don't know with Windows and Bootcamp and etc...:confused:

And, in case I got the FW drive and hooked it up directly to my MB, would that allow me to boot Vista off it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.