Airport Extreme (802.11n) + XBox 360= ;(

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Josias, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I have read before that people have had technical difficulties with the Airport Express and Xbox 360.

I play on Live quite a lot, but get a poor connection from my old D-Link router, which often drops out. As soon as I get a new MBP, I will be getting the new APX Base recently released.

Does anyone know if there could occur any problems conecting the Xbox and the AirPort base? I know they are not shipping yet, but any advie would be mcuh appreciated.:)

2. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

I would really like the hear any advice/experience? Anyone?

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have my Xbox 360 with usb wireless adapter connected to my Airport Express and have had NO issues with it what so ever.

Can you elaborate what technical problems people have experienced ?

I've actually ordered the new Airport Extreme also, and have confidence because my experience with the Express that it wont have any problems.

4. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Well, I read on several forums that it was really tricky setting up, and since I'm quite technically skilled except when it comes to networking, I got nervous.

Kinda sad to pay $180 for disabling your Xbox Live;)

So, did you simply connect, as I could do with my D-Link Router (which was branded on the box: Xbox compatible), or did you have to change some settings?

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I plugged in the official Xbox wireless adapter to my 360

My broadband modem is plugged into the Airport Express.

Turned on my xbox, test connection. Everything is on automatic.

360 detected my wireless adapter, which in turn found my airport express network, my express assigns it an ip address and everything works.

Absolutely NO setup at all. Took me about 2 minutes, that's it.

Complete walk in the park.

I also have a PSP, a DS Lite & a Wii all of which connect to the AE without problems. Best wireless router I've ever had.

6. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Thanks a million, I shall gladly thank you another million if you would be so kind to eitehr PM me or post in this thread if it's all good when you get the APX base.:)

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

no problem, I'll add you to my buddie list and PM you the result.

It's due to ship on the 28th Feburary - should know shortly after that ;) :D

8. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Thanks;)

9. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

I take it you don't use WPA/WPA2/WEP or any encryption, so it's a wide open network?

10. jamie98 macrumors newbie

No Luck!

Not to get anyones hopes down, but I just got one (APX 802.11n) yesterday. I have had no luck getting the Xbox 360 to recognize the network!:mad: But hold on, it WILL recognize the network IF and ONLY IF there is no security applied... but I prefer security.. I hope Apple releases a Firmware update soon, because right now I have to use my old APX (802.11g) for the 360 and all the computers without .11n. I use the new APX for a C2D MacBook... it just makes everything more confusing (And I think the two are interfering with each other, slowing down one another) and I hope it is fixed soon!:eek:

11. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

I have an old Airport Extreme (with plans to change to the new one) and three airport expresses. WHen I originlly set them up it was with WPA2 Encryption and I could not connect to the system. no major problems, just couldnt connect. When I got my Wii I had read the Wii had trouble with WPA2 so I knocked my encryption down to WEP. The Wii worked fine. Then for giggles I plugged the USB WIfi adapter from Microsfo back into the 360 and it found the network fine and I added my password and it connected fine. Have not had a problem since.

Kevin

12. Sinsinnati macrumors regular

Sinsinnati

Has anyone had any problems connecting the Nintendo Wii to the new Airport Extreme? I also run my network locked down with WEP.

13. Maynerd macrumors regular

I too would like to know if this router plays well with WEP and the Wii.

14. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

It works with WEP and WPA (but not WPA2).

15. jim.arrows macrumors regular

And for those who may not know, WPA is preferred over WEP; WEP is known to be very easily cracked, and since it supports both you may as well use WPA, IMHO.

16. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

Agreed. The 360 should support WPA (but again, not WPA2)... the problem is that the new Extreme defaults to WPA2-only, so you have to enable WPA/WPA2 mode.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No. I live in a rural remote location and have no need to use it.

Mine still hasn't shipped, so I cant post my experience yet. I wont be using security anyway.

18. skasol macrumors 6502

This is interesting, I am too looking for a good router, the apple seems to be the one I want, but I also read in thousands of sites the nightmare stories people are having setting them up.

I was looking at the linksys wrt310, just to add the dd-wrt firmware, not sure yet what I would do.